Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sun/shade and everything in between definition

Posted by rita_from_mb 2b-3 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 1:27

I'm confused. I understand full shade, but how many hours sun is 1. part shade, 2. part sun, 3. sun, and 4. full sun. Is sun from 1pm to sunset still sun or part shade? The plant books tell you what the plant likes but I sort of need it in hours because of fences, overhangs and other shade providing structures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sun/shade and everything in between definition

Well I go with the following:
full sun is anytime of day with 6 or more hours.
Full shade gets no sun at all.
Part shade gets morning or evening sun but no sun from noon or 1-ish till late afternoon...In other words Shade for the hottest part of the day.
Dappled or filtered sun, anytime of day, usually through trees or trellis...may get some morning or early even sun.
This has worked for me....others may have different theories that they use.

Sierra

o
RE: sun/shade and everything in between definition

Anything less than 6 hours of sun is considered shade

Anything with at least 6 hours to 8 hours of sun is considered semi-shade and

Anything more than 8 hours of sun is full sun.

Now some plants are sun hogs and need sun all day so they need the full 15 hours. These mostly originate from very hot countries.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here