Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgingell

Hardy climbing vines

bgingell
14 years ago

Looking for a hardy clinbing vine that doesn't need a lot of sun. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I don't think there are any vines that grow well in total shade. If your area gets at least 6 hours of sun, try Honeysuckle.

• squirelette
    14 years ago

There are a few clematis that can tolerate shade.

• prairierose
    14 years ago

How about hops? - if you aren't looking for flowers. I have some backing my shade garden - they do a little too well and keep sneaking under the lawn edging that tries to contain them. I have some virginia creeper there as well. It does okay but not as well as the hops. Of course, hops starts over from ground level every year.

Connie

• bgingell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have hops elsewhere in the backyard, and it is doing quite well. Also have a Virginia Creeper on the northwest side of the house which I was unimpressed with last year(although i did plant it there last year I guess)and is off to a slow start this year, probably because of the several late frosts we've had(the most recent 3 days ago!!). I'm not sure how much direct sunlight the area I have in mind will actually get, but i'd really like to find some kind off climber to put there, thanks for the suggestions so far. Does anyone know of a specific clematis? I have one(not actually sure what it is called)that grows like a bad weed, it'd be great to find something similiar!

• bgingell
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Any particular kinds of honeysuckle??

• squirelette
    14 years ago

I am pretty sure Jackmanni tolerates shade, and I know there is a single red that I had out in Vancouver. I have not got to vines yet in this house, only had 3 years lol, but I remember that there was quite a few varieties in purple and red. Nothing in the doubles but I did not look at the whites. If you get shade at ground level and they grow up into sun you can really push the envelope because the added benefit of cool feet and warm top is exactly what they like. Sorry I can not be more help

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I have a blue Clematis alpina that does well on a southeast facing wall but with a giant spruce tree directly to the east (if that makes any sense) anyway it gets direct sun for only a couple of hours around noon and the rest is shade.

I also have Virginia Creeper in shade and it does nothing but try to "creep" towards sunnier parts of the fence. It definitely prefers more sun. BTW, Virginia Creeper leafs out really late for me so don't judge its performance on that.

• jalal
    14 years ago

I have an Alpine Clematis growing in the northwest corner of my house. As the porch runs from that corner it only gets morning sun and still grows like crazy. Has a purple bell like flower in the spring. Does not need to be cut down in the fall as grows on old wood. Mine was cut down two years ago as replaced the trellis that supported it and it has grown back. Is over 7 ft tall. Another vine that I love that grows in the shade or in sun is Silver Lace Vine. Even in my short season it will grow from the ground to totally cover a walk through arbor and along the fence. Grows 10-12 ft in a season and gets lovely white flowers that hang down--kinda like lilac only feathery in the fall. Does not get any bugs. It is rated for Zone 5 but mine has overwintered two years in a row. Could be because the neighbors dryer vent is about 5 ft away from the plant but the one I had planted out in the open also overwintered. In the US they can grow to be massive like wisteria. Arbor Nursury in Wetaskiwin sells them in small 4 inch pots for $3.50--even planted now it will still cover a 6 ft high trellis by about 5 ft wide in our growing season.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz