Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Sorbaria Sorbifolia 'Sem' question?

ostrich
11 years ago

I saw this absolutely beautiful plant in a garden centre the other day, and it turned out to be this Sorbaria Sorbifolia "Sem". The foliage was stunning and the texture was very lovely. However, when I did a search of it in Gardenweb, only very few threads showed up.

I am wondering how this shrub does in an area like Calgary? Does it really sucker like some people suggested? Would love to hear from someone who has grown this shrub. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• beegood_gw
    11 years ago

I don't know if this is the old variety or new and improved . The older variety I found very invasive and I think every farm stead had them growing almost wild. Maybe this is a better one.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi northspruce, do you have a photo of that please?

beegood, I believe that it is a dwarf version and it's supposed to be better behaved.... hmm...

• valleyrimgirl
    11 years ago

I got my False Spirea from my MIL about 15 years ago. It never did stay put over all these years. Finally this spring I dug out all of it from the flowerbed.

But, the new improved variety 'Sem' apparently isn't invasive like the original False Spirea according to this article...but it does say that once established it will send out root suckers...

http://pnwplants.wsu.edu/PlantDisplay.aspx?PlantID=807

Brenda

• ostrich
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Brenda!

I read in some places that it prefers dry soil, and other places state that it prefers moist soil. What does it really prefer, in your experience?

Also, how does the foliage colour change according to sun exposure?

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I'll take a photo of mine when I remember. I hadn't noticed the Sem cultivar, and not sure how much difference there is. Mine would definitely be the old school stuff because the previous owners only planted things they were given. Mine is in quite dry shade under the spruce but seems to be steadily migrating towards the tap where the soil is more damp.

• valleyrimgirl
    11 years ago

Mine was close to a maple tree in a flowerbed that I rarely watered because it was too far away from the house. Can't imagine how fast it would have spread had I watered it....

Brenda

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

I planted this in a garden with the intention of never watering. The plant did great in that aspect, for a good 4 years. Problem is, that "SEM" was advertised as non-suckering for me, and 2-3 feet high. It got nearly 4.5 feet high for me and even after digging it all out and pulling out all the roots, this spring I still have suckers EVERYWHERE in that bed. It's all entangled with a dogwood shrub, so I will have to pull the dogwood out and get the roots out.

I did a lot of research on this plant and asked a lot of questions. I see tons of little shoots out in my lawn right now and it's also got massive amounts of roots underneath the bed's rock border.

Definitely highly invasive...and I do have very heavy clay under my lawn, so even though the bed is very fluffy (making it very happy to spread), the clay lawn should have stopped it somewhat, and it did not. Also, my rock border has quickcrete under the rocks, going 6" down and it tunneled under.

Don't believe anyone who says this plant isn't invasive...the first year, not so much. The 2nd year, everything's controllable....this is year 6 for me after I removed it and dug out every root I could see...and it reappeared with a vengeance. I will be using round up, reluctantly.

That said, I do plan to put some in a pot (away from the ground) and use it as a lovely planter on the patio. It will come back year after year in zone 4, even in the planter.

• Jim Cassels
    7 years ago

specialmn1, I have been trying to get rid of this stuff for two years now. Roundup only stops the suckers for a bout a week. Dig up sucker roots, only gets some of the problem. The suckers grow faster than you can dig! It just keeps growing everywhere. It strangles everything in its path. Who ever allowed this invasive species for home use should be shaken! If you buy this stuff get a written letter from the nursery that it won't sucker and destroy your other plants.....You know they won't do that.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville