Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush Identification Pls, Photo 2

Posted by Leandra7 Z3a in GP, AB (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 1:52

I'm new to this acreage and wondering what kind of bush this is. Thought it was a lilac but I don't see any flower buds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush Identification Pls, Photo 2

Looks like lilac,..it could have been pruned hard this spring prior
for sale,..this could explain that you have no flowers.

o

Wild lilac? I had one in a yard in Saskatoon that didn't bloom every year. Surprised me when it did and the bloom was not as showy as a domestic lilac. ??? Looks a bit like Mom's old lilac here that still does it's best to bloom around the north west corner of this old house. :)

Ginny

o

Thank you for your comments, yes, maybe this is an older wild lilac as the acreage is 100 years old. I'll keep watching it.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 19:24

I'm thinking that's a Japanese Lilac, Syringa reticulata. It blooms huge white fragrant blossoms a little later than regular lilacs. Their blossoms should be just forming now. Bloom can be sporadic - I have 2 trees, some years they are both full of beautiful blooms, other years only one or the other will bloom heavy and the other will be sparse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here