Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Ramblin Red rose question

ostrich
9 years ago

The area that I was going to grow clematis in is probably not good for clematis, because none of the three that I planted there is really making it. So I am probably going to try climbing roses instead.

Anyway, I am considering Ramblin Red now. However, I saw that it may not be as hardy as William Baffin, which may be too big for the area that I have. I saw that Terrance commented that the canes had to be laid to the ground to avoid winter kill. I am wondering what would happen then if I do not do so? Would the canes just start from the base again? If that is the case, would that prevent the rose from getting to a full size?

John Davis is on my list too, but I wonder if the colour is too light for my area.

In terms of reblooming capability, how do these three compare (William Baffin, John Davis and Ramblin Red)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Yes, it will die back in a bad year, and yes it will grow back from the bottom. Most climbing roses don't really climb - at least not every year - in our climate. John Davis is a tall shrub for me. It blooms heavily and has a decent form, but it isn't cane hardy every winter.

This past winter was Winnipeg's coldest in 160 years and everything died back in my yard. All the Rugosas, all the Explorers, all the Albas (except those flexible enough to be laid down), even Polstjarnan died back to knee high. The 20' high mess of thorns I had to cut off Polstjarnan was so immense I had no choice but to burn it in my yard.

I am now satisfied that no rose is 100% winter hardy above the snowline in Winnipeg. Not every year anyway.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rosecavalier, your photo is breathtaking! Thank you! Your comments and experience is really appreciated too. Thank you!

northspruce, you are so right - no rose is absolutely winter proof in our climate!!!

So between John Davis and William Baffin, I think that the latter has the colour that would go better with the rest of my garden. However, I am just nervous that I will have a huge thorny mess on my hand! Also, by what I have read so far, John Davis repeats its bloom better than William Baffin. Am I correct there please?

• northspruce
    9 years ago

I've never grown Billy Baffin but John Davis repeats okay for me. It has one big flush at the beginning of summer and repeat here & there the rest of te summer.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Nice photo Rosecavalier, can I ask the names of those?

While all my roses are still in their infancy John Davis is stealing the show with its spring flush.

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

My 'Ramblin Red' isn't quite as vigorous this year, I guess I should have been feeding it a bit more, though it still has a good many buds developing, the color is rich and long lasting. I just take a couple minutes for winter prep by laying some cut log section upon the canes and then keep snow shoveled upon it. Though, if the rose were to go unprotected, then it would have to flush out from the base and take an extended time to come into bloom. I'd follow rosecavalier's suggestions ... and isn't that a beautiful photo posted!

SCG, feed 'John Davis' well if you want him to grow tall legs, otherwise he'll remain a 4 or 5 ft shrub.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Terrance, in our climate, how tall and wide does William Baffin really get?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Last year, I had seen some large 7 ft tall and wide spreading WB at Spruce Grove, though have not yet driven past them this year to see how they managed the terrible winter. I do not grow this one for myself.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Terrance. I wonder how old that WB is? 7' height is OK for my area but 7' width is too wide for me! Maybe I should just go with John Davis then.

SCG, how old is your JD please?

9 years ago

That JD is from this year. Bought at a nursery that would have received it as a bare root in March. I purchased it just after the "Who will bloom first" competion started. It has been vigorous. *possibly it was from last years stock*

Thanks Terrance. I did take your advice and add a bit more compost in depth and width for it. Also using a slow release fertilizer the horticulturist use around trees, supposed to last two years, for an added kick.

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Ostrich, I'd guesstimate those 'WB' to be 5 or 6 years old and will make a note to soon go check them out. 'John Davis' has better flower form and nice almost smooth stems.

SCG, sounds like you did a fine job and should be rewarded for your efforts :)

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

SCG: You asked about the roses' identification in the photo...the background rose is Prairie Peace...foreground rose is an open pollinated seedling of rosa spinosissima...I call it "Tall Kakwa".

If you are ever up in the Peace River country at the summer solstice, stop at the Beaverlodge Agricultural Research Station. Many of the roses there were planted in the 50s and have survived the test of time.

Two beauties at research station that were just dripping with blossoms: Kakwa (attached) and Altai Scotch

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

Altai Scotch

• rosecavalier
    9 years ago

I love the ebony hips that are set by these spinosissima roses...Terrance...have you played around with these in your breeding of hardy roses?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

rosecavalier, I really should get over to the Devonian Gardens to take in the many spinosissimas on display there, the heat the next few days will really push them forward fast.

The only spinosissima I've worked with is 'Hazeldean', the below is a first generation repeat flowering offspring derived from HD and one I hybridize with extensively.

9 years ago

rosecavaleir, thanks for the names and more great photo's. I am making a note of the beaver lodge station and one day hope to stop in.

Terrance you need to quit showing that dang rose or make it available! It is a real stunner.

Ostrich sorry we hijacked your thread! Silly roses drives us off in tangents.

I did get 'Stanwell Perpetual' in my bare roots order and am hoping it grows into a monster, I think I may have planted it too close to a gate as it is has the nastiest thorns of anything I have ever seen. The plus side is that even only sitting at 12" tall it has a few buds.

SCG

• ostrich
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update - I bought myself a John Davis this evening. it is quite lovely indeed. The stems and the flower form really sold it to me over the William Baffin. Mind you, the WB bushes there clearly was much more vigorous than JD! Still, I think that WB would just take over my not-so-big yard and so JD may just be the right size and form.

Thank you for all your help!