Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurieb2851_gw

Sowing seeds in spring

laurieb2851
14 years ago

I just purchased some French Hollyhock Seeds, Malva Zebrina Hollyhock seeds, and Queen's Eye Hollyhock Seed. I am germinating some seeds indoors (because I want to be sure of being able to identify when they germinate). What are my chances of these germinated seeds actually being viable plants this summer? I still have some seeds to sow outdoors in the winter or to start before spring next season.

I'm starting to get a bit paranoid about planting hollyhocks. About 2 years I planted a mature hollyhock plant and it never came back. I purchased a younger plant last year, and that never came back either. I really do want just about every kind of hollyhock that is out there and would appreciate any advise someone can give me. My neighbor just gave me three volunteers that she said are a dark red and I've planted those. I'm wondering if perhaps I'm just not recognizing the hollyhocks when they come up again in the spring. I had lots of creeping charlie to get rid of around my planting areas and the leaves of this weed look a little similar to what hollyhock leaves look like. I also planted 3 new peonies this year. I planted 3 last season and they all came back. I don't expect last year's peonies to bloom until next season. I will be amazed if I get any this year. I think it takes longer then that.

Thanks!

Laurie

Comments (4)