Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer squash spacing

Posted by weeper 2b SK (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 9:22

So this spring I planted the Flying Saucer variety of squash. I planted 2 plants, about 8 inches apart from each other, with 2 ft between each mini row of 2 plants. Should I pull out one out of each 2? Will they stunt each other if I leave them there? All of the plants came up, and all of them look healthy, so I hate to pull them out, but if it is going to effect the health/production then I'll do it. I don't have any room to transplant them anywhere.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer squash spacing

I would be tempted to keep them and just feed them very well ..............................but only because I have such a hard time getting things to be healthy in my yard I'm sure if I took out one the other would die.

o

Not familiar with that specific variety, but a healthy zucchini plant will spread 3 to 4 feet across, in which case I'd definitely thin down to 2 plants, 2 feet apart.

o

I should have said in my original message that there are 6 plants total, planted in 3 separate little rows, 2 ft between each row, with 2 plants per row(about 8 inches apart) Hopefully that clarifies a bit!

But I'm guessing I should still thin them out to just one plant per 2 ft.

o

Prolly

o

Squash have a tendency to grow over other plants and "squash" them hence the name.

SCG

o

I would pull the two in the middle of each row. Fly Saucer squash grows a lot like zucchini so it doesn't crawl much like a spaghetti squash but the bushes can still get quite large.

I try and plant all my squash a min. of 3 ft apart and I still have a hard time walking through them if they grow well.

If you're worried about the others dying after you pull them, wait a little longer before removing them.

Also - don't think just about the number of plants or spacing - think if you really need all that squash!!!

Happy Growing! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here