Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No plant safe from Rambo gardener!

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 10:05

She strikes without warning or plan. One day its a huge swath of ostrich ferns that attract her wrath. She heads outside with the plan to dig out a single fern that is popping up in the middle of a prized hosta. The next thing you know she's flailing away and the entire bed is razed of ferns.
Last night she was just returning home from walking the dog when poor Ladies Mantle caught her attention. The plant's sin was that it was too happy and was overwhelming another prized hosta. Down she swooped, shovel and fork in hand. Ladies Mantle didn't stand a chance.
She is now casting her eye at an expanse of rogue lamium. Her ill thought out plan was to possibly relocate some of the ladies mantle there, but it will clash with Honeyqueen lily. Be very afraid dear lily!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No plant safe from Rambo gardener!

"She" sounds terrifying!! I can here the plants from here wondering who's next. They quiver and shake in their spots hoping to be spared.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 11:54

Sounds like my husband with a chainsaw. He only went to down the very tallest trees that had grown up in the past few years and blocked our view. I kept hearing the chainsaw, but the tallest trees weren't toppling. After they finally did, I went and looked over the hill. I had thought the idea was to THIN the trees, not CLEAR the trees!

o

Thankfully I don't have a chainsaw! I can do lots of damage with my pruners though.

o

I need you to visit my lamium.... :>

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 1:53

Lol ...I think I would want to be a hosta in your garden. It does feel good to get things thinned out and under control ..soon enough they will want to take over again

o

The scary part is how unpredictable 'she' is. Her plan can change in mid stride.

Marcia, on the subject of lamium. For years I had lovely clumps that didn't seem to do anything but slowly expand. But now they re-seed with reckless abandon, and the plants they spawn are not the same. They are much more vigorous and common. I've been much more diligent about weeding out these imposters, but foolishly had let a border of them get established before I realized what was happening. If it stops raining and I can survive the onslaught of mosquitoes I may unleash my fury on them next.

o

Same here, Marie - except for 'White Nancy', which I really like!

o

We love lamium here, then again our gardens are new and it hasn't taken over...lemon frost is one of our fav's as it glows at dusk.

SCG

o

I had 'Golden Anniversary' and I loved that too. Of course it died! LOL

o

I might have White Nancy, I don't remember the name now, and I still have a small plant of Golden Anniversary. But when it seeds it becomes solid yellow. But the yellow isn't the problem one. It is a green with a silver streak down the center. That's the one that is spreading all over.

o

Mine too. Might be called 'Pewter Pink'.

o

If you folks send me a sample I will ID it and give you alternatives.

o

I can dig up a yard or so of it for you..... :>

o

Hey Marcia, you were right. I do have a white blooming one that is probably White Nancy. And you are correct, that one is not being a thug. It gently spreads and hasn't morphed into something different.
Thanks for pointing that out to me. It was the pink flowering one that spawned the evil seedlings.

o

You're welcome! I'll have to find another one because i'll have a spot for it later this year when i revamp one of the white gardens. I also have "Aureum", which is golden and very pretty, but its seedlings are green. They're in the lawn, so i just mow them down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here