Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

2013 Western Canadian Gardening Championships.

We are proud to announce that we have been chosen as host gardens for the 2013 Western Canadian Gardening Championships!

This is going to be a incredible event showcasing some of western Canada's top gardeners. It will also be a great way to meet others and share ideas.

This year the events have changed slightly as in the past more emphasis was put on plant arrangements and design than gardening skills. So this year we are focusing on primary garden skills.

The three categories this year are:

1) lawn maintenance - mowing and snipping skills. We will have an eye on detail and straight lines
2) shrub pruning- this is the artistic portion of the event
3) Weed identification and removal - This category will hold the most points. How fast and thorough will be awarded top marks.

Also, because we are a non-profit garden all entrance fees will be divided between the top 3 gardeners. So you will have more than just the coveted title!

Another first for this year is we are allowing people 4 hour practice runs up to the day before the event. This way you can familiarize yourself with the gardens and the event structure. You may book ahead otherwise it is first come, first serve. So don't be disappointed and book early.

Pm me if you want to register and or book practice dates. We understand that this event might not be for everybody so You may swing by and try the event format and gardens before deciding if you want to register.

Hope to see you all there.

SCG

Comments (18)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

I volunteer my garden for the weed removal event. I don't care if they ID the weeds first or not - just pull 'em out!

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

I volunteer my yard for weed removal and transplanting back into the neighbour's yard where they came from. No weed I.D. required here either :)

• User
    10 years ago

Will there be spectator ticket sales? if not please video the final events for us.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spectator seats are $699 or weeding 5 feet of garden not included in the competition. Please reserve ahead as spots are filling fast!!!

• User
    10 years ago

$6.99 that is not bad. The only event really that I would be interested in is the shrub pruning. I hope someone tries a chainsaw that could be fun to watch. Really you should record this event for all your GW friends. I bet your girls will be getting some fantastic training for future events.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Marcia and nuts if this event gets any bigger we can use yours for qualifying trials.

CLB, I suggest seeing this event in person. My legal staff said we can't charge for spectators so everyone will have to do some weeding.

SCG

• User
    10 years ago

I suppose I will have to definitely wait for the video set backs from surgery are preventing me from bending and would not be able to reach the ground. I will have to wait until next time. I was so looking forward to pay respects to the lost sunflowers. RIP

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Is there a speed category of lawn mowing? I have a riding lawnmower now and I'm a maniac. Luckily it's robust enough to handle the shrubs, lawn edging, bricks, small children, etc. that I run over.

• User
    10 years ago

North- If you do enter please get a video made I like the no obstacle will slow me down attitude I'm sure you would win.

• User
    10 years ago

I think I may have found a new event for your contest. Land clearing by mouth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Land Clearing by Mouth

Original Author
    10 years ago

CLB. We have had several others state that due to injuries they won't be able to compete. So based on the video in your last post we have put in an event specifically for you. Our resident doctor and physiotherapist got together and designed an apparatus that will allow someone to push you around so you can clear land by mouth. Will be worth video taping for sure!

North of course speed is a point grabber. Like any other driving sports extra points are given for running over things. I believe injured gardeners clearing land by mouth give the highest bonus.

We are getting a steady stream of entries so hurry and get your spot before we are full!!!

SCG

• User
    10 years ago

That one hurt ......................................when I laughed of course I could visualize the whole thing. Got my pain shot today but it doesn't seem to be working as good as it did yesterday.

I may be getting older but so far haven't been called a goat before LOL

• savona
    10 years ago

HAHAHA..I just finished planting out the last 3 flats of plants this morning..my hands are cracked, stained and sore from all the weeding and planting. I could just imagine what my mouth would look like after even a few minutes of clearing land with it.

• ostrich
    10 years ago

SCG you are just cracking me up! LOL

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

I must say this looks to be quite the challenge but rather disappointed that there are no categories for the other physically challenged (old) contestants. May I suggest two additional judged events?

NOID Naming - for the blossom connoisseurs among us, laser labels provided

Dead Heading - timed event with a focus on precision and damage control. Canes, walkers, and kneeling pads allowed. No wheelchairs or goats!

I will even permit full access to my yard for the NOID naming event.

And, just for the fun of it, a Strangest Garden Wear contest so there would be at least one more event I could participate in. :)

Ginny

Original Author
    10 years ago

CLB,

Hehe. That's a baaaaaaaad implication maaaaaa friend.

Ginny,

I must say I did not think of the deadheading and will be sure to add it next year if I am fortunate enough to be chosen again. The NOID was part of the weeding category where participants could earn bonus points. After consulting with the board of directors and the legal staff I have been advised to leave the category as is for the year. instead we have invited a prosthodontist in for those that want or need. Those entering the clearing by mouth event should appreciate this.

Speaking of the clearing by mouth event, I was staking off the zones last night and found one zone that has a very large concentration of Canadian thistle. Bonus points will be awarded for completing this zone.

After getting to know some of the users on this forum I don't think strangest wear is an event, more a given. :-)

SCG

• User
    10 years ago

Wow what a generous offer SCG!!! I now urge any one with dentures or bridges to join the clearing by mouth event. Free Dental work!!! I suppose this will be paid for from the video sales it might just be your biggest draw event.

Original Author
    10 years ago

CLB your right on the video sales. We are only going to produce a limited quantity so I highly suggest people prepay to secure their copy!!!