Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these?

Posted by SouthCountryGuy SE BC 4b-5a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 10:17

Okay, as addicted as I am I am still a newbie. I have a few of these plants coming up and all of them look "so-so" with some of their bottom leaves looking bad and they all have these "balls" near the top.

Should I break out the malathion or doctor doom? On one plant I notice a very, very small mottled caterpillar type bug that fell off when I tried to grab it... No other plants around have problems or bugs and it is only this species (what ever it is lol).

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

SCG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these?

I'm guessing, but it looks like one of your trees has had babies.

You don't need malathion or doctor doom. :)

All you need to do if you don't want it in that spot, is grab it by the bottom and pull it out by the root. Your soil looks moist enough it should come out without a problem.

o

Nuts thanks, but I am sure these are from bulbs I planted...I planted so many I can't remember which are which. The little balls at the top are what worry me.....as well I have very, very few deciduous trees on my whole property hehe.

Thanks again,

SCG

o

Pretty sure what you have there is Lamb's Quarters.....considered a weed by most. They can get quite large and seed easily. Some people use it for salads and such kinda like spinach, but I prefer to pull it. :)

Ginny

o

It is lamb's quarters...a weed.

o

it definitely looks like a chenopodium variety,
so it could be lamb's quarters or something similar

we grew a variety called 'strawberry spinach',
it had nice edible leaves and those "balls" of yours turned into bright red strawberry-like fruit
made for interesting salads, but i let a few 'fruit' stay on too long,
and now we still have them coming up in our garden
so they will definitely re-seed/take over

o

Lol. Thanks everyone. I guess Cindy isn't the only one growing weeds on purpose!

I will yank it when I get home. Now can someone please tell me when it will stop raining and when the sun will come out?

SCG

o

Well, the sun is out here.....temporarily.......just in time to mow the grass. :$

Ginny

o

LOL One year I got a package in the mail from my Grandma it had seeds ............................lamb's quarters not the fancy red kind just the regular kind I guess growing weeds runs in the family.

Speaking of weeds I have a morning glory looking weed in my flower garden will pulling it work or should I paint them. Not sure how they multiply.

o

I am, obviously, not an expert but I like painting them then when they droop pull em. My recurrence rate from roots breaking off in the ground is much lower. OTOH, I could leave this in for the championships.

SCG

o

The red kind sort of looks like quinoa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quinoa relative

o

CLB,

Look up "bindweed" and if that's what you have, make sure to dig out as much of the root as possible. I think there's a thread in the Weed forum about getting rid of it - something along the lines of gathering up the vine and putting it into a dilute solution of Roundup, rather than just spraying the foliage. I think this weed is a lot more aggressive in warmer zones.

o

Donna great call.

I don't have personal experience but my inlaws when they lived on the coast had problems with it. I mentioned planting morning glory and they came unglued. In their opinion roundup is the only way to control it and even then it takes a few applications..

Good luck.

SCG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here