Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

What are these?

Okay, as addicted as I am I am still a newbie. I have a few of these plants coming up and all of them look "so-so" with some of their bottom leaves looking bad and they all have these "balls" near the top.

{{gwi:753374}}

Should I break out the malathion or doctor doom? On one plant I notice a very, very small mottled caterpillar type bug that fell off when I tried to grab it... No other plants around have problems or bugs and it is only this species (what ever it is lol).

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

SCG

Comments (12)

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

I'm guessing, but it looks like one of your trees has had babies.

You don't need malathion or doctor doom. :)

All you need to do if you don't want it in that spot, is grab it by the bottom and pull it out by the root. Your soil looks moist enough it should come out without a problem.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nuts thanks, but I am sure these are from bulbs I planted...I planted so many I can't remember which are which. The little balls at the top are what worry me.....as well I have very, very few deciduous trees on my whole property hehe.

Thanks again,

SCG

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Pretty sure what you have there is Lamb's Quarters.....considered a weed by most. They can get quite large and seed easily. Some people use it for salads and such kinda like spinach, but I prefer to pull it. :)

Ginny

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

It is lamb's quarters...a weed.

• intotheark
    10 years ago

it definitely looks like a chenopodium variety,
    so it could be lamb's quarters or something similar

we grew a variety called 'strawberry spinach',
    it had nice edible leaves and those "balls" of yours turned into bright red strawberry-like fruit
    made for interesting salads, but i let a few 'fruit' stay on too long,
    and now we still have them coming up in our garden
    so they will definitely re-seed/take over

Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol. Thanks everyone. I guess Cindy isn't the only one growing weeds on purpose!

I will yank it when I get home. Now can someone please tell me when it will stop raining and when the sun will come out?

SCG

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Well, the sun is out here.....temporarily.......just in time to mow the grass. :$

Ginny

• User
    10 years ago

LOL One year I got a package in the mail from my Grandma it had seeds ............................lamb's quarters not the fancy red kind just the regular kind I guess growing weeds runs in the family.

Speaking of weeds I have a morning glory looking weed in my flower garden will pulling it work or should I paint them. Not sure how they multiply.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I am, obviously, not an expert but I like painting them then when they droop pull em. My recurrence rate from roots breaking off in the ground is much lower. OTOH, I could leave this in for the championships.

SCG

• User
    10 years ago

The red kind sort of looks like quinoa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quinoa relative

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

CLB,

Look up "bindweed" and if that's what you have, make sure to dig out as much of the root as possible. I think there's a thread in the Weed forum about getting rid of it - something along the lines of gathering up the vine and putting it into a dilute solution of Roundup, rather than just spraying the foliage. I think this weed is a lot more aggressive in warmer zones.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna great call.

I don't have personal experience but my inlaws when they lived on the coast had problems with it. I mentioned planting morning glory and they came unglued. In their opinion roundup is the only way to control it and even then it takes a few applications..

Good luck.

SCG