Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

What is your favorite fragrant plant or flower ?

User
11 years ago

I love the smell of flowers in the spring and summer Mayday trees, lilacs, night scented stocks, grape irises. What are some of your favorites?

Comments (33)

• jel48
    11 years ago

SOME of my favorites :-) lilacs, many different roses (I use my nose as a tester before buying new ones and USUALLY only purchase those that smell wonderful), many peonies, many iris... These are my favorites of the flowering perennials that we have.

I love the smell of petunias and we usually have several pots and hangers with petunias - mainly because the hummingbirds love them!

We have just realized that our neighbor's olive tree has a very sweet and pretty smell when it blossoms!

• beegood_gw
    11 years ago

I love lilacs and roses but my very favourite smell is the smell of clover in the pasture on warm sunny day. Brings back memories of days gone by.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    11 years ago

I have many favorite flower smells and I have to say it would be tough to pick a favorite. Lilacs and sweet peas are probably the top 2 although roses might make it a top 3. And then there are irises, peonies, lily of the valley, stocks, mayday blossoms, apple blossoms, gardenias, carnations, .........

Yep, just as I suspected. Can't pick a favorite. :)

Ginny

• jel48
    11 years ago

Beegood, I hadn't thought of that one... Sweet clover in the fields, and another (from growing up days) is the smell of wild plum blossoms..... Both of those smells can take me right back. They just jerk my head around when driving down a road, looking for where they are coming from!

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I have a lot of heavily scented old roses, but the best is probably Celestial.

My other favourites are nicotianas at night and petunias during the day. I never grew petunias until this year and my grandma always did so the smell always reminds me of her house.

I noticed this spring that my Amur maple has a nice smell - I had never noticed that before.

• shazam_z3
    11 years ago

Apple tree blossoms.
    Jacob's ladder - reminds me of my mother for some reason.
    Snowflake anenome - the fragrance was very strong for the past few weeks. Whole backyard smelled like them.
    Lewisia.

Too many to list.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Lilacs, peonies, roses, hesperis.... But i love the scent of matthiola (stocks) at night, and for the life of me, i can never get them going. One year, i had some and the scent was so strong and beautiful - i remember lying in bed and breathing deeply. Mmmmmmmmm!

• nutsaboutflowers
    11 years ago

Oh You Guys =:)

Now I have to go outside and start smelling everything.

Apparently a lot of what I have out there has a scent that I didn't know about, LOL !

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How is it possible I forgot sweet peas and lily of the valley shame on me LOL. I have had trouble getting evening scented stocks to come back have to replant every year but so worth it when you put some in a vase in the bedroom. I love magnolia too but can't grow it here.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

Oh! And Oriental lilies. I have a couple that I swear you can smell down the street when they're blooming.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

I'm a tree guy,...the first smell in spring is one of my chokecherry tree [seedling]. Then comes the plum flowers, apples and the smell of the beehives. In July is the mock orange and Linden.

11 years ago

Oh, how could i have forgotten lilies!

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I love the smell of lilacs,lilies, some irises and daylilies, honeysuckles, each season brings something new to smell! I have a crabapple that smells heavenly every spring. Marg

• justjoey57
    11 years ago

In my garden. sweet peas and roses and in the wild wolf willow and alberta roses

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

now if we could only download smells for the winter then play them like a cd.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

We have a lot of native pasture around our place, and we often chase cows on horseback through it...there is a really common weedy shrub called wolf willow that grows all over. It has silvery colored leaves and bark. When it blooms in spring, it is incredibly fragrant...I love this smell!

I also love the smell of old fashioned lilacs, some roses, some viola's, petunias, some lilies - especially LA hybrids, Monarda, deciduous trees in the fall, conifers after a rain in spring...and on and on!

• jel48
    11 years ago

I DO still enjoy my gardens, even with NOIDs. But I really like to have the IDs for a couple of good reasons. 1) I tend to buy the same plants multiple times, if I don't keep track of what I have, and 2) I like to share (at plant swaps, with friends and neighbors, etc) and I prefer to be able to let them know what it is that they are getting!

Oh... one of my gardens (one that contains the hosta that were already here when we bought the house) is named 'The Bed of the Unknown Hosta'. Makes me think of the tomb of the unknown soldier, and I always think of our fallen heros when thinking of or looking at this garden. It's a rather different tribute, but I did mean it as a tribute when I named it.

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

jel48, why don't you post a picture on the hosta forum? They are great at being able to identify hostas. Marg

• jel48
    11 years ago

Hi Marg. You are right about that, and I have posted a few, but I have a lot of varieties and need to narrow down the field a little when I ask ID questions. I'm a bit of a collector (by nature) and want to be sure the IDs are correct, not just a good guess!

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

I would say I love the smell of newly cut grass as in ones lawn or anyones lawn . Seems summer or special for sure when out for a drive and pass by someones place where they are cutting grass
    I have some lovely smelling plants most of which have been listed . Is a treasure to go out in the morning, or come home and through the back gate and the fragrance just wafts, how is this for a word although not using it quite right, but wafts over to you Doesn't sound quite right does it
    But you get the picture
    I love to grow Brugmansia and have them in pots which I bring in each year The smell of the flowers from these plants can be quite intoxicating and like none other. Some people love the fragrance and others do not at all.

• jel48
    11 years ago

One of my friends grows Brugmansia and the smell is just lovely! He's given me starts two or three times, but they've never grown well here and none have ever bloomed for me.

Another that I'm looking forward to is Wisteria. We bought a really good sized vine at a Master Gardener sale that is held near here each June. I know they will grow here, because we go by a beautiful specimen that blooms heavily each spring. That's what prompted us to buy one. I understand that they take a while to get established and it might be 3-4 years before it blooms. What I did not realize, until the thread on Wisteria came up in the forum, is that they have a beautiful scent. I'm looking forward to it!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brugmansia- my neighbor called it Angel Trumpet I was thinking of that too when I posted this thread but have only seen it grown in zone 5 and taken inside for the winter. There is a really big one on Kingsway in Vancouver stays all year there planted right in the ground.

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    11 years ago

At this time of the year, my vote goes for Black Locust. The flowers are spectacular, and they're excellent eaten fresh or fried as fritters. I love dual-purpose plants!

Overall, I'd have to say that my favourite-scented flowering tree is the American Linden. They have such a nice fragrance (and they're edible, too!), and I always enjoy watching the bees pollinate the flowers.

• diane_v_44
    11 years ago

I love the smell of the Linden tree in bloom as well David. Lovely memories of many summers

Never have smell a Black Locust
    Will be on the look out for that

Wish all could smell some of the fragrant Brugmansia
    You either love it, very much, or do not like the fragrance, at all.

• don555
    11 years ago

Sweet-scented white water lilies. (Not the off-smelling yellow pond lilies we get here.) When I was a kid in Ontario and went canoeing with my dad I always insisted on paddling into the lily pads to smell the white water lilies. Must be 30 years since I last smelled them, but I think they'd still be a favourite.

11 years ago

My husband and kids once picked a water lily for me and i was amazed at the scent! I'd love to have a large enough pond to have these in it. There's a beaver pond out back that would support them but the beavers moved on years ago and it's pretty empty now.

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    11 years ago

Here's a picture of my flowering black locust. It's kind of blurry, but you can see how pretty the flowers are. I'm always amazed how underplanted this tree is.

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    11 years ago

Found another picture.

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    11 years ago

One more!

• User
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful do you have it protected or is it in the open? The tree in my front yard is still really struggling and I might have to replace it. The locus is beautiful but it would be fully exposed. Just south of you near GP.

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    11 years ago

It's in the open on the west side of my house. I'm in the Peace River valley...perhaps that extra bit of protection is enough to make the difference?

• glen3a
    11 years ago

Interesting photos/tree, and very tropical looking too. For scent, almost everyone loves lilac but when I think of scent I think more of summer blooming plants which I can enjoy on warm summer nights sitting outside. For that I love Flowering Tabacco (nicotiana syvestris) easy to grow from seed though quite huge (3 to 5 feet high). I also love madagascar jasmine (Stephanotis floribunda) which I have as a vine growing on the deck and take indoors as a houseplant for winter. I just realized this year that Petunias also have a nice fragrance, if grown in quantity. This year I bought a gardenia which seems a bit difficult to grow (loses leaves, drops flower buds) the blossoms are very fragrant though I have to say it's nice but not my favorite fragrance (under the heading to each his own).

11 years ago

Interesting that you mentioned stephanotis, Glen. My dad was just telling me that he remembers it as his favourite flower scent. I've never seen it anywhere. But if i have to take it in i probably wouldn't get it. I'm just not great with houseplants, for some reason!