Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy2beeme

Theresa & Marie --Enable me

Happy2BeeME
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know you have all posted you beautiful pictures of Theresa Bugnet, Marie Bugnet in the past. Now IÂm getting ready to plant mine and would love to see how and where you have yours for some inspiration.

IÂve wanted them for so long--now IÂm a bit anxious I wonÂt get it right and will have to move them. I feel like a first time mother. I think I know the answer but want to be sure.

IÂm in US zone 4 and how big do you suppose they will grow here?

I ordered them from High Country Rose, and believe they are own root. How deep should I plant them and how far around the base of the rose should I amend the soil? I was thinking of putting Marie in front of Theresa.

Thanks

Karyn

Comments (7)

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

In zone 4, I'd expect them to get up to full size, since even in zone 3 TB gets full size. My mother-in-law had one at her old house and it was over five feet tall.

• leo_prairie_view
    15 years ago

Therese Bugnet has a beautiful shape and blooms right down to the ground so I would hesitate to put another rose in front of it, even one so nice as Marie Bugnet. Here in zone 2b Therese B has no die back over winter and is about 5 or 6 feet tall and 5 foot across so give it plenty of room. Also place it where you can enjoy its fragrance.
    Leo

• savona
    15 years ago

One thing I find with my Therese Bugnet rose is when the canes are heavy with blooms the weight will pull them toward the ground. We stake ours up so the canes stay off the top of other plants under the edge of its branches. It is one of the first roses to bloom in the spring for me and doesnt have any winter kill to it. I have transplanted some of the suckers and have given some away but I wouldn't say it was a problem with suckering. I just wished the blooms would last longer then they do.I have Marie Bugnet also and have some winter kill each year on it,it stays around the 2 foot height for me..savona
    June 23 2007 My son and daughter-in-law on their wedding day beside the Therese Bugnet rose

• Happy2BeeME
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shazam-
    Wow, thatÂs what I want something that will actually grow over 2Â tall by the end of summer.

Leo-
    Thanks for letting me know that, IÂll have to find another spot for Marie. Still havenÂt decided where to put either one of them.

Savona-
    What a beautiful rose and couple! That is a great picture. I canÂt imagine having such a problem as to needing to stake blooms up, IÂm really looking forward to this rose. TB looks like itÂs at the end of an island bed, has that worked well for you? One should have a good view of it on all side that way.

Thanks

Karyn

• kuzariprincess
    15 years ago

My Therese Bugnet is gorgeous this year but its taken a few years to get established. I recommend being patient with her.

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I've had a Therese Bugnet for years and it has always done well,. Even last winter with -40 it still leafed out to the very top which is over 5ft.And it's been blooming non stop for the last few weeks.It does sucker but I give them away or just mow them down. It's not a big deal for me as I live in the country.

• Happy2BeeME
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kuzariprincess-

Happy belated birthday! Being patient is going to be the hard part. Mine hasnÂt even been shipped yet and I already am "toe tapping"Â..

Beegood-

ItÂs good to know they are hardy and grow! IÂm so tired of everything being so short. I would like tall and 5Â is tall compared to what I have now.

Thanks to you both for the encouragement.

Karyn

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths