Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving Tulips

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 10:39

Good morning all.

I'm pretty sure what the general consensus will be, but I'll ask for "permission" anyway.

I planted tulips in a spot that I intended to be for vegetables this spring. Therefore, the tulips, which have finished blooming, are using up prime real estate space.

They say not to move tulips, especially now when they're getting their food for next year from the foliage, but has anyone done it with success? Also, honestly, I could buy new ones for next year, right? I was thinking of digging them up with some of the soil still around them and plunking them in another hole immediately.

Would you do it, or just dig them up, and throw them away? ( as they'll take up precious space if they're likely to suffer and not bloom next year anyway)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving Tulips

I think that many of the taboos about moving things don't apply to us because of our cooler weather. I've moved tulips (and other bulbs) no problem. I just try to keep some of the soil around them so they aren't disrupted as much. Not usually successful at that, and they still do fine.

o

Yes, I agree with mytime...I move lots of things like lilies and tulips in the middle of the summer when you are not supposed to! :0 Just be careful not to damage the leaves and stems when you are transplanting them, and I think they'll be fine. You may not get any increase, but they should still bloom next year. Depends on whether you mind spending the extra money for new ones this fall, I suppose! Personally, I can hardly bear to throw out something that is perfectly healthy. I'm all sentimental...

o

Oh good. I'm going to try to move them.

I've taken in lots of strays over the years from friends/neighbours/acquaintances when they were going to get rid of perfectly good plants.

I don't like to throw away healthy plants either, so I'm happy to get "permission" to go against the recommended procedure =:)

Thanks!

o

If you move them with soil they won't even know!

o

Lynn, like Gil said, with enough dirt they won't even know it. Like a sleeping baby. :) I do it all the time.

Ginny

o

I moved a bunch last year, they came up this year but were not as nice as before. I'm going to fertilize them and let them die back naturally and see how they do next year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here