Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allium sphaerocephalon

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 10:55

Last fall I planted some new Allium sphaerocephalon, along with more Purple Sensation Allium.

The Purple Sensation are near the end of their blooming, but the others haven't come up yet.

Is there still hope?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allium sphaerocephalon

I'd be having a dig around to see if there are squashy rotten bulbs down there. It doesn't sound promising, but occasionally bulbs will skip a year so who knows.

o

I agree it doesn't look good. I planted some of those last fall too. They actually came up before all of my other alliums but are just beginning to open up now. All of my other alliums are done for colour other than Christophii and a couple of Bulgaricums which are in too much shade and falling over.

o

I think I found them.

They're smaller than I expected them to be. The stems aren't much bigger than the chives in the back yard. Is that them?

There's a few teensy tiny buds on the end of a few, but they're more shaded by the others than I expected, particularly now that they're falling over from the rain =:(

o

That's them. They look just like chives only I spread mine out so they aren't in a clump. Mine are about 16" tall and they still haven't opened. They sure are slow. I will take a pic when they do open. From what I have seen the flower looks like chives too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here