Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

Calgarians Please Check in.

User
10 years ago

I finally got a chance to see what is going on in Calgary with the flooding. Please let us know if you are Safe :D You are in my Prayers.

Comments (20)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Ours too...everything is underwater from Calgary to Fernie...scary!!

SCG

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SCG - are you on higher ground? They have lost homes in Kaslo plus Kelowna is having issues too. Thanks for the heads up I just watched the BC news on the flooding.

10 years ago

Yeah I am fine, thanks...I am way up. Anything low in the whole Southeastern part of the province is pretty much flooded. I was heading out to help sand bag today but they were overcome and had to give up :(

Hope everyone is safe and dry.

SCG

• bdgardener
    10 years ago

I'm here and safe, can't say the same for the rest of my little town. Black Diamond is underwater, our local fire dept including my hubby has been non stop since 6am on Thursday, the sheep river broke its banks at the campground by the west access bridge along hwy 22, they got an giant excavator going and tore up the hwy to try and force the river back. Our local grocery store and stripe mall are under water. Peoples houses are flooded up to the second levels. I'm just east of town and on the south side of the hwy. To the north of me runs the river, so people on that side have been air lifted out. Communication is not good as they have shut down lots of power and internet towers are also being affected. I'm higher than my neighbours to the north so my water is running to them. Our sump pump is running non stop and I have it flowing across the driveway. I did get a little water in the basement but not bad. And its still raining. They have shut down most the the bridges in our area and in Calgary. Along with roads anywhere close to running water. It's crazy. Cheryl

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sorry for your little town having been through fires I know how traumatic it can be. ((Big Hugs)) Cindy

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

I feel really sorry for everyone who is affected by this unbelievable and terrible weather disaster.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

My kids live in Calgary and are lucky enough to be on high ground though they have been volunteering most of the day. Both are health care professionals and my SIL is also a firefighter. They have expressed that the whole thing is just devastating and many people are not taking it as serious as it is which is creating so much more havoc. Wow!

Good to hear you are ok Cheryl. Hopefully more Calgarians can chime in with their status. Good to see so much help and support from all of Alberta when Mother Nature has such temper tantrums. Let's hope the sun comes out real soon.

Ginny

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear your kids are safe Ginny :D Unless you have been through a natural disaster trauma it really is hard to get a grasp on how it affects you. I thought I would be fine after the fires but it was years until the panic attacks stopped. Your Family is in my prayers.

10 years ago

Bdgardener wish the best for you. The house I lived in in black diamond is pretty much done. It was only blocks from the strip mall. Prayers go outto all of you. I didn't realize how bad our area was till late this afternoon. Hope I am not to late to help them tomorrow..

SCG

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

Prayers and good wishes for all those affected. :(

• northspruce
    10 years ago

Thinking of you all.

10 years ago

I hear that southern alberta may lose internet and possibly phone service for a bit as everything was routed through downtown Calgary.

I hope your all still doing well. I hear the water is supposed to peak early in the morning so hopefully things get better.

Take care all, we are thinking of you.

SCG

• ostrich
    10 years ago

Checking in here! Thank you for thinking of me, northspruce!

I am very fortunate because I live up the hill on the West Side, so my area is completely fine. Minutes from where I live though, down in the Elbow Valley they are in deep trouble. It is very scary indeed.

Not sure where Shazam is, but I think that Shazam lives in the NW which has been safe, too.

I hope that this nightmare will go away soon. I cannot imagine what it's like to have your home flooded. It must be terrifying - I really hope that everyone will be OK soon.

Thank you for thinking of us. It's very much appreciated!

• savona
    10 years ago

So sorry for everyone affected by the flooding. I hope everyone and their loved ones stay safe

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was trying to think of who lives down that way and Violet - from the how do you live here thread. Is one that I found. Hope the water starts receding soon.

• Violetjune Zone 3
    10 years ago

Yes, I'm in Calgary but we're on higher ground, most of my family was unaffected too. We're very lucky. School is cancelled for my kids but people are working hard to get things back to normal.
    Water use is restricted. My kids went outside when the sun finally came out and the first thing they did was start filling up buckets to water the plants! We had to put a stop to that plan, the ground was all soggy anyway.
    And I stand by my earlier comments that the weather here is extreme! But mostly we're just concerned for everyones' safety.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you are okay Violet .........:D

10 years ago

Violet glad to hear your okay. Yeah the weather in Calgary is extreme. Years ago, I believe in 2000, I remember driving to work at 7am and it was -19C on the way home it was +20C. I didn't last long in Cowtown.........

SCG

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

I'm fine. I'm way up in the NW so no problems for me other than a foot of rain coming down :)

10 years ago

Good to hear shazam... raining here again I hope it stops to let the water levels recede......

SCG