Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

Wildflowers or Weeds

User
10 years ago

I bought a sprouting device in April and with it came a free package of wild flowers so I brought it home and scattered it in my deck rail pot. Besides the poppies can you see any flowers that might not be considered weeds in this mix. I am so glad I didn't plant them in my front flower bed.

Comments (32)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

I wish I could identify weeds better myself. At least you got a few blooms and have some grass mixed in for texture :)

SCG

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

Looks like some zinnias in the top right corner of the pic, maybe?

Ginny

10 years ago

Yeah I think your right Ginny...also maybe a calendula petal i see below them by the poppy? The one in the center almost looks like my golden ageratum.. When I go out I will compare.

SCG

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope you are right Ginny right now they look like plantain. Any ideas on the white little flower. Here is the other end looks like some sort of dandylion to me.

10 years ago

Looks like a dandelion to me too and I've been pulling them all month! :(

Ginny

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

That last picture is definitely a weed. I think the top left white flower is annual alyssum.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"I've been pulling them all month!" I read that as ..........

"I've been pulling them all by mouth" ....................this weed identification thread is good practice for those interested in the Western Championship.

• thirsty_dirt_77
    10 years ago

... not to get overly philosophical or anything ... but since all weeds flower at some point in their life wouldn't that make all wildflowers weeds?

A dandelion may be a weed to us but it is can also a considered a wildflower... so technically when you buy wildflowers you are buying weeds. :)

Also if you look up the definition of "weed" it is defined as a wild plant growing where it is not wanted and in competition with cultivated plants. So if you bought wildflower seeds and ended up with dandelions(a wild flower), because you cultivated them, by definition it is no longer a weed. lol

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good thing I didn't buy them!! Here we spend so much time pulling them and I go and plant them on purpose.............. :(

10 years ago

Now who's calling who an old goat? Lol! You crack me up, Cindy!

TD, yes, technically all weeds are flowers........in someone's world. :)

Ginny

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooops!! And I thought the reference was to the fact that I yet again miss read something.

10 years ago

Hehe.

I think you better let them flower then show us another pic. I am sure it will be first for someone older than 5 to intentionally grow dandelions in a planter and I want to see it :-)

Then again I think amaranthus Caudatus is considered a weed in Africa and I am trying to grow it and Mother Nature is trying to drown it.

SCG

10 years ago

Mother Nature is trying to drown everything in my yard! Maybe I should have everything in well draining planters!

For that matter, I think I might just let the weeds grow in my pots and put them on display. You just might have started something here, Cindy! :) I have pulled trees, grass, weeds, clover, and even free seeded (flowers) out of my pots this year. They actually looked rather green and healthy and many had nice little colorful flowers on them too! And the birds seeded many sunflowers, millet, canary grass, and niger. Mother Nature sure has been generous this year! :)

Ginny

10 years ago

Ginny don't let Cindy fool you. She is just growing extra weeds to practice clearing by mouth. Due to her injuries she can't do it outside so she has her husband bring the planters into the house where she can munch away. She is a very cunning individual.

We have lots of pine siskens around here you have me thinking about going and getting some niger seed to try and grow for them.

SCG

10 years ago

Lance, everything around here is well fed including the old goats! And my yard is wheelchair accessible so Cindy is welcome to practice over here any time! I'll even put dressing on them. K, Cindy?

Ginny

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No wheel chair needed I can walk but stairs are hard and only for short periods. I can lay on my back but haven't figured out how to eat out of back of head. If I had the neck of an owl it might help. I can bend a bit but not enough to touch the ground. So while I would love to come help Ginny I am not sure this year is possible. Maybe next year and we can try for a video. LOL only 4 more weeks and I can drive again. Not sure if goats are like dogs but I am having an urge to go for a car ride.

10 years ago

Lol! You can stick your head out the window and, if it's as windy up there as it is here, you can catch flying caterpillars. :)

Ginny

10 years ago

Oh my, I see the makings of another event!!!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's windy but so far I haven't seen any caterpillars my friend said they are in town. But they have not come to my house.

CATERPILLAR PIE

by Charles E Minshall

You're invited to a party,
    A gourmet feast,
    To dine on elephant
    Or some other beast.

A dinner aperitif
    Of blended moths will be served,
    In goat horn containers
    That are fancy curved.

Be sure not to miss
    The termites on ice,
    With a sauce of snail slime
    To give them some spice.

You should also try
    The killer bee feet,
    Dipped in chocolate
    A very rare treat.

For the dessert course
    Fresh caterpillar pie,
    Garnished with the wings
    Of a butterfly.

Children's pretend cooking
    Is cooking quite easy.
    Pretend with them
    If your stomachs not queasy.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to feed some to hubby if you catch some.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

New Weeds for identification

They are very pretty

• northspruce
    10 years ago

They're nemophilia maculata. SO CUTE!!!!

10 years ago

Nemophilia! I love those little guys!

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

Ooooh, yeah! How come i don't have any this year?? LOL

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So do these little babies get out of hand or are they good kids. I really love them. They are cute!

Marcia I guess you will have to plant weeds to get them LOL

10 years ago

The weeds plant themselves around here. Let me tell you about all the oxalis......

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just read about oxalis .................................sounds like a real scary plant like my lovely quack grass.

I also love her description in the Growing Oxalis link top left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eradicating Oxalis

10 years ago

The picture that's shown there is a variety that i have as a houseplant. I put it outside in a container every year and it's lovely there. The stuff in the garden has larger leaves and they're red underneath. They get yellow flowers. I've been digging and pulling this stuff out ever since i noticed that it was starting to spread, but this year it's here with a vengeance. I'll take some pictures later.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My weeds are starting to look nice soon I think I will have petunias joining the mix.

10 years ago

They are looking good! I am curious though, do you flower weed beds like you weed flower beds?

SCG

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

Aren't those beautiful orange ones California poppies? I love those!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Only when I pick them LOL- I was hoping for more colors but they are bright and happy

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting