Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunted Lilies

Posted by lucklein 2b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 12:11

Any one else notice their lilies are stunted this year? All of mine are only about half (or less) as tall as they normally are. Front yard has buds, back yard has no buds. Just wondering if it is going on elsewhere or if I have some kind of other problem going on. (Manitoba)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunted Lilies

I have had my daylilies for about 5-6 years now and only ever had one flower. The leaves are beautiful so last year I lifted them on the advice of GW so we will see. So far the leaves look great.

o

Weird, mine are way bigger than last year. Then again I didn't have any last year. Hehe. Joking aside mine have buds all over them but are only about 3/4 the hieght the package says. I also agree the foliage is almost pretty enough as it is.

SCG

o

Daylilies have nothing to do with lilies whatsoever...

I am also in Manitoba and my asiatic lilies didn't enjoy the cold winter. Sometimes my asiatic lilies die off for reasons unknown to me, but small bulbs or bulb scales grow from the edges and take a few years to reach blooming size. I have seen this with several varieties. Asiatics are just not as enthusiastic and trouble free as they're supposed to be for me. Even some of the Orientals and Trumpets and "difficult" crosses are often more reliable in my yard.

o

Thanks north. Although I am happy with anything right now it will be nice when they "grow up".

o

My lilies are stunted this year as well.

o

the OP did not specify what kind of lilies.

o

True, I was assuming also. Sorry CL, that was rude of me. :(

o

No problem :D .........................still wondering about a bot though there has been a lot lately on the cooking forum. And original poster just started the account today. I hope I am wrong. If I am I hope there is nothing too wrong with the lilies whatever kind they are.

o

Several years ago, we had a big thing on this forum about using Latin names and we were all learning them. It was fun! Daylilies are "hemerocallis", so that helped clear up the confusion when talking about lilies. :)

And some of mine do look short this year, and 'Giraffe' is really skinny. Maybe just the neck is growing this year! :>

Slightly off-post, but my siberian irises are doing absolutely nothing this year - very few leaves and no blooms yet. Wonder why that could be. I can see one or two, but all three clumps are like that. :(

o

Everything here is lush and huge, but that could be because we seem to be living in a rain forest these days. We've had 5 inches of rain in the last week alone. As soon as the sun comes out, I'm expected an explosion of other problems to emerge.

o

At least my daylilies look really good so far this year. Last year, they didn't like the heat and humidity one bit.

o

I've had some lilies be stunted some years. I never did find out why they did so poorly, but they did bounce back..

Marcia, I have definitely had trouble with my siberian irises before. sometimes the leaves stay really short and they don't bloom at all; in fact I had a post on here about that awhile back. The consensus was maybe lack of water, because they are essentially the same conditions as my bearded - which grow far better.

I have one siberian flowering decently this year anyway!

o

The tried-and-true purple siberian is blooming this year, but not overly profusely. I did take it apart last fall, so that may have something to do with it. I can't see it being lack of water for the other sibs - it has been fairly wet this year. Maybe the cold, miserable spring.

o

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for the confusion, but they are Asiatic lilies. They are about 4 years old. Usually they grow to about 3 feet high and bloom. This year they are only about a foot or so. Some are north exposure with morning and evening sun, some are south exposure with much more sun, so it seems weird that both patches are stunted. Just thought it must be the weather and wondered if others are having the same thing. The north exposure plants do have flower buds, others do not. Don't have the tags, so can't name the exact variety, but they are not all the same.
Thanks for all your replies, and again, sorry if I wasn't specific enough in the original post.

o

no problem at all it gave us a chance to talk about all lilies glad to see you are not a bot :D and posting again Welcome to Far North Gardening.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 15:08

Mine are also short this year.

Last year some of mine had some of that blight that caused the stems to die back almost immediately after flowering. Since the stems need to feed the bulb for the next year, I suspected those lilies would be less vigourous this year. But I have a lot of lilies, and they're all shorter than normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here