Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Dealing with Suckering Trees

nutsaboutflowers
11 years ago

The Schubert Chokecherries in my yard are suckering like crazy this year. I'm not impressed.

I thought I had managed to keep it under control last year, but I guess I was mistaken. I've tried cutting them, and I've tried just bending them over.

Is there anything I can do? The previous owners planted them. If I had known I was going to dislike these trees so much, I would have removed them in their first year and planted something much nicer. Next time I'll know better.....

Comments (8)

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

I've been dealing with the suckering habits of a hawthorn tree for years. I think trees sucker more when they are stressed in some way. Check for disease or other things that might be affecting it. I yank the suckers out at the base, sometimes I need pliers to do the job. I read somewhere not to cut them off. If you aren't getting any enjoyment out of that tree, perhaps it's time to take it down.

• don555
    11 years ago

My reccommendation would be to spray the leaves with roundup to kill the tree right to its roots (cover any grass or plants with a drop sheet first), then cut it out and replace it. No point living with a tree that just annoys you when there are so many nicer alternatives.

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I've got some Hawthorns that do that. When I asked at the nursery what to do they told me to cut them and paint with latex paint. Hah! Didn't work. At our Hort meting we had a landscaper in and he said to cut with a serrated knife or pull it off. That way the tree thinks its been injured and heals itself? Sounds crazy but I'm going to try and see if it works. I've got a few suckering now to try it on. Marg

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

How about cutting with lawnmower the majority, how far do they sucker?

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The suckers are all coming up within close proximity to the trunk of the trees. It would be nice to just mow them down if they were further out.

Maybe I'd like the things better if I got someone to come and trim them nicely every year?? But, wouldn't that spread the small amount of black knot on them?

They're the only somewhat larger trees in the yard, other than 3 junipers that are about 6 feet tall. I'm really reluctant to remove a tree, but if I did, what else is there that's only going to take up the same amount of space, or preferably less? The junipers are behind and somewhat between the two chokecherries and I wouldn't want to block the junipers. I put them there to provide a contrast color to the stupid chokecherries, and I love evergreen trees. If I could have a yard full of western red cedars I would =:)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Yeah,..around the trunk that's what they do.
    Well then you might have to follow Don's advise,...get rid of.
    Only consistent hard pruning to ground level about 3 times a year is needed,
    this way, you have mostly new growths and is much easier then when done one's.

Think I would try to burn ends with blow torch after pruning.

• ostrich
    11 years ago

Donna, I had a Prairifire Crabapple before - it kept suckering and it was a little annoying! What I did was that I prune it right down to the lowest level possible, and then the new growth was quite controllable. I have found that as long as you deal with it sooner than later, it's quite manageable. Good luck!

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Had another idea today, cover the area around the trunk with something, I was thinking two pieces of plywood, in center when the two pieces are together, cut a hole about a inch larger then trunk then put around. If needed you can weight it down with a brick or flower pot. Then you have only minimal growth come up at the trunk.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions