Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weeper_11

Anyone grow spuria irises?

weeper_11
9 years ago

I have a number of spuria irises that were planted 3 or 4 years ago. They survive every year, but increase sooooo slowly(as in, they gain maybe one fan each spring!), and none of mine have bloomed yet. They do look a bit more beefed up this spring, but so far none of them look like they'll be blooming.

I'm not really sure what to do with them. They are planted in different locations in my garden, so I don't think moving them will help. Anyone have ideas? Do spuria just take a really long time to settle in? Does anyone else grow them, and how do they do for you?

Comments (16)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    9 years ago

Was looking at some on Chuck's website and thinking of maybe trying one or two. I only have Siberian irises other than bearded.

I think the spurias tend to like it dry and arid where as Siberians tend to like it moist. ?? Fraid I don't have any info for you, Katie. :(

Ginny

• nutsaboutflowers
    9 years ago

Is there any possibility that they're crowded together?

My irises never bloomed very well. After seeing pictures on this forum, and realizing mine were seriously lacking, I decided to dig some of them up and move them. Now that they're not as crowded, both areas are blooming like crazy.

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope! I planted them about 1 1/2 feet away from each other, anticipating these large clumps they are supposed to turn into...they look kind of silly, now!

I'm guessing it must be my soil, because I know it isn't the zone, and they are planted at the proper depth..

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

My mom had them in Phoenix and they multiplied a lot.

Full sun and well-watered.

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And after posting this message, it looks like about 3/5 of my spuria ARE going to bloom this year, lol. Maybe they need more rain in the spring than I think they do. Or maybe in my soil they just take longer to get to blooming size than they are supposed to! Who knows. Glad I'll finally get to see some blooms, anyway.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

We are going to want to see pictures! I have yet to get into the iris/peony addiction. I acquired some day lilies and going to be fun to see what color they are.

SCG

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

SCG, if you're going to develop a daylily addiction, a good time to do it will be when Floral and Hardy has their summer sale. You can get some good ones for about $2. Not that i would ever enable you.... :>

• kayakcraig
    9 years ago

Here is my one of my spuria iris blooming now. Bought it from Chuck Chapman several years ago

• kayakcraig
    9 years ago

And another

• kayakcraig
    9 years ago

This is a pseudata iris a cross between a Japanese( ensata) iris and pseudocorus

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

This is a bit off topic, though had recently seen what I was told was a Siberian x Japanese iris cross having the form of a double Japanese, believe me it was very nice!

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, that one is so much larger than mine! You must have the right conditions for it. I don't have good pictures, but you'll get the general idea. This one is either "Look Again" or "Vintage Year". I think it might be Vintage Year. I had Look Again at one point, but I think it died.

• weeper_11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is possibly "Kiss of Caramel". Jeesh, I used to keep better track of these things!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Nice pictures all!!

I am resisting the urge....

SCG

• moodyblues22
    7 years ago

I grow Spuria Iris in the South Island of New Zealand. I found that to get them to bloom I did three main things. 1. Fed them with well rotted compost. They are greedy plants and like a neutral to alkaline soil. 2. Did not water during our summer/Autumn, Jan, Feb, March. We can get weeks with no rain. They go dormant after flowering. 3.Do not divide them up they can stay in the one area for 10 years or more. They sulk if shifted.

• Deborah lippitt
    6 years ago

I'm with Moodyblues. That is how and where mine grew. I've had them in 2 locations all with tons o'sun and dry and they multiplied and thrived in crowded conditions. I just tossed some fertilizer on them in the spring..maybe if I remembered and watered every 2 weeks..deep watering. Again Hot and dry. Bloomed like crazy. Mine were the Orientalis variety.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz