Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kioni_gw

GoldFlame Honeysuckle: looking for info on pruning for blooms

kioni
10 years ago

Hi all.

Spring of 2008 I purchased, from Can Tire, a honeysuckle that was labelled DropMore Scarlet. Took a few cuttings that did root, one cutting at 10 inches in length produced a bloom that was so pretty and fragrant that although research on the internet determined it to most likely be the Goldflame Honeysuckle (hardy for zone 5 and warmer) I chose to keep the plant I'd stuck in the ground instead of digging it back up, finding the receipt and returning it to the store for a refund. A great winter followed, we received 3 feet of snowcover through the cold weather and the shrub came back in the spring, but only produced about 5 blooms and lots of foliage.

Every spring since then, the snow cover has been low, and new growth doesn't seem to generate any higher than 2 or 3 nodes above ground. I noticed one vine that was growing along the ground (didn't root anywhere) all the nodes were starting new growth. So laying down some vines before winter sets in might be an option for me, and then I'd have to tie them up when the weather warms. It is in a spot that receives full sun until 1:30 or 2pm, then shade.

Problem is, this shrub has been cheap on the blooms and I'm questioning whether to keep it.

Question: anyone know how lonicera heckrottii blooms? On new season's growth, or old seasons growth? Does it bloom on the new growth that comes out on the old wood? I have been leaving the bottom 2 or 3 nodes to grow - everything above that is dead. So I think I should be getting some blooms. No problem with mildew in the years I've had it.

How does everybody prune their honeysuckles in zone 3 (prairie, chinook belt)? Are you able to keep your previous year's vines up on the support, and new growth/flowers fill in from there? Because if so, then this honeysuckle will never do well, always having to grow from the base for the year (all previous years vines cut back since they are dead dead dead.

Thanks much.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County