Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribuk

Digging hole for Carmine Jewel

ribuk
12 years ago

I have just purchased 5 Carmine Jewel seedlings and will be planting them in two locations. The location that concerns me is very very sandy. A tree planted previously died in 3 or 4 years.I am going to dig a hole 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet deep and will fill it with composted soil (PH of 6.0) dug out of a former wet area in the bush. My concern is that in 3 or 4 years there is enough good soil left to maintain good health. Also how should I fertilize to maintain healthy soil going forward.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Normally sour cherries don't need anything special. The problem when we pamper them they grow too much and the wood is too green going into winter causing more die back, especially when we get allot of rain towards end of season. I have Evans in very sandy ground doing not too bad. One could top dress them with compost or old manure. For planting them, miracle grow is pretty safe and it's going to the roots right away.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

I'm not an expert, but this is what I've learned hanging around in the trees and shrubs forums, as well as off the University of Saskatchewan website:

-Most fruit trees should not be fertilized, in particular young ones. Only fertilize sparingly if the tree shows weak growth and pale leaves. I would think top dressing with compost would be fine.
    - Unfortunately, even though Carmine Jewel isn't a terribly large cherry tree (maturing at around 6 ft, right?) it will still quickly outgrow the 3x2 ft amended soil. That is why amending soil is not recommended. It discourages the tree from growing outside of the amended soil, which is necessary for a healthy tree. The cherry's might grow good for a couple of years, but if they can't handle the sandy soil, you are going to find out within a couple of years anyway.
    - I think the latest information out on recommended practices for tree planting says not to dig a hole deeper than the rootball of the tree, but dig it at least 3 times wider. Also, make sure the root flare(where the bottom of the trunk starts to flare out into the top roots) is at the soil surface. Digging up the ground under the rootball can encourage the tree to settle or sink in the soil, which will cause problems for your tree.

• ribuk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I have mixed the compost 50/50 with sandy garden soil and packed the bottom 1 foot of the hole I dug as best I can. Does anyone know how deep the roots on the Carmine Jewel grow when mature.
    Thanks again.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994