Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lily seed

Posted by bdgardener 3 AB (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 13:07

Hi everyone, I was given some lily seeds (tiger and trumpet) but I have no idea when or how to start them. Any info would be appreciated. thanks Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lily seed

Hi,
In my experience they are best planted in the spring, but they can be planted in the fall, cover them lightly with soil. If they are bulblets you can plant them now and they should sprout a single leaf and begin to bloom the next year. If they are seeds the will send up a single leaf the next spring and begin to bloom the 3rd year, although I have had seed bloom the 2nd year. The seed requires about 2 months of chilling to sprout so it is easiest to plant them and wait. With the tiger lilies I know that once the bulb gets going it will spread fairly quickly giving you a good sized clump in fairly short order, they can double their numbers yearly. They will also produce stalks covered with the bulblets for you to plant out if they are not big enough to bloom. I have no trumpet lilies so I am not sure about them, but I would guess they would be fairly close to the same. I am sure there are lily growers on here who will give lots more info

o
RE: lily seed

Trumpets are easy Epigeal or "quick-type" seed to start, you can sow those right now, make sure you keep an watchful eye on watering.
Tigers are easy to start by Bulbils.

Here are a couple of websites that may help you.

http://www.lilies.org/growingfromseed.html
http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop2.html

Goodluck

Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here