Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypoppy

Asian pears in Edmonton?

pricklypoppy
9 years ago

Hi,

Does anyone try to grow Asian pears in zone 3? I found one called Taylor's apple pear from Greenbarn nursery. It is rated as zone 3. However, after reading Konrad's recent experience with this nursery, I am hesitant to place any order with them. Does anyone have different sources for Asian pear? or simply it is too cold here for Asian pears?
Thanks!

This post was edited by pricklypoppy on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 13:58

Comments (15)

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Actually, I wanted that one but for some reason didn't get.
    I bought a total of 10 trees,..most of them were dead when I got them late May.
    Have Kenko, Shinseiki, Xiang.
    I can't evaluate on trees what are dead or almost dead at planting time,...have asked for refund, they said plant them, I did, but I'm not good in resurrecting the dead, it's now wait and see. I'm loosing a year on this,..
    worst tree order ever! Close to $ 600.00!

• pricklypoppy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Konrad,

Did they promise to refund your money? From what I read on the net, some people did not get their refund.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

No refund,..had to plant the dead trees, ..only the Mulberry looked good, some looked dead, some near dead, will see in a couple of weeks if anything will push out.

Please don't buy anything there,..this is fraud!

see link,..

Here is a link that might be useful: Got my tree order in...think some were shipped dead!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Konrad, what an awful shipment you received from Green Barn, that's the worst nursery stock I've ever seen and a very frustrating and needless loss of your hard earned funds. To be told that these had went through an "oven chamber" while in shipment is simply pure bs because of condition of the mulberry in comparison, and there is no excuse for the terrible graft on the 'Taylor's Gold' plumcot. I had been interested in some items and had emailed Green Barn to enquire, though did not hear back from them and I'm glad for that!

• mattpf (zone4)
    9 years ago

Don't waste your time.
    I had a shinsiki last four years this spring he was dead.
    It was my favorite tree too very nice tasting from the stores I was lucky Home Depot had one and rated zone 5. I gave it a trial
    It even got winter protection. Last week it went into the fire pit.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

For the most part it's true but Taylor's apple pear, rated zone 3
    would be worth a try, I have zone 5 fruiting pear and plums producing.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

>>To be told that these had went through an "oven chamber" while in shipment is simply pure bs because of condition of the mulberry in comparisonExactly!
    Now, he's blaming post again that it took too long,..that's a lie!

The 10 trees are about 3 1/2 weeks in the ground and 50% have no sign of live,...have mailed pictures and said,...

Hello Ken,
    these pictures from yesterday,..
    It's now over 3 weeks and I'm showing you the trees what have no sign of life, the rest, for the most part are pushing,
    some have a few leaves, overall, very disappointing. [Only Mulberry looks healthy]

Please, I would like full refund on these 5 trees.

Best Regards,

Konrad

He's still blaming Post Canada..

Konrad...yes the photos do not look good but the cambium tissue still looks alive on most.....suggest you cut back to a few inches above graft to see if you can get the roots to push some new secondary buds. The trees seemed to have been mishandled beyond normal shipping stresses as they all left our farm well packed and alive. You can check with Post Canada to see why they took so long to deliver your order and make a claim against them. We do not give refunds but will replace any dead trees this fall or next spring.

Ken

My reply,..

So, you're still trying to blame post again, first they oven fried it and now it took too long. NO, it didn't, it came at normal time frame, (regular shipping).
    They should have been shipped allot sooner! (Some were dry and dead at shipping, only Mulberry looked good)

If oven fried or blaming post Canada, why Mulberry looked in
    perfect shape?

I will cut them, but fact is, these
    trees are way beyond normal
    and even if something will shoot
    out, these new "late growth" will
    most likely kill the tree in winter
    since no proper hardening off!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Good that you stood your ground with Green Barn. So, they are willing to replace what trees do not grow and let's hope those look a whole lot better! Maybe, ask them to take a photo of the trees just before they are shipped.

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    8 years ago

Ken at Green Barn has not replaced ANY of the dead ones from my order of 10 trees. He said that he will with my next order,..what a thief!

ONLY Mulberry was healthy and still looking good, about half was dead at arrival and the rest looked very sick with black bark, most have died now..only two are just barely alive.

• ubro
    8 years ago

You next order? he thinks you would order from them AGAIN? A little cheeky of him. I got sucked in two years ago and had three trees all die, I assumed I had done something wrong and never asked for a refund.

• mattpf (zone4)
    8 years ago

I've had shinsiki also here it survived three winters but every year died back more and more.

• granolabar (Zone 2)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I bought 2 mail order bare root apricots in May. I noticed that one had very little root when I planted them. One soon leafed out but the other one looked dead. I watered it profusely a couple times per week and around August 1st it leafed out and then grew way more limbs than the first one. Because the leaves were still green into October, long after the first one dropped its leaves, I am now concerned about winter survival. I kept watering it because the buds stayed soft although the plant looked dead and 2 to 2 1/2 months later, a surprise.

• Collin 2b Regina
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your troubles Konrad. My yard is filled up and it was only through blind luck I had not placed an order with these people. I may think again on the order. I do hope you can salvage something from this. Keep us posted. So the question is who else sells Asian pears?

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm