Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
konrad___far_north

Enough Rain?

Konrad___far_north
12 years ago

It rained about the whole week, off and on. I think we're in for

the second year with more then usual. I've heard it comes in

a 20 year cycle, ...hm, another 19 years?

Comments (34)

• don555
    12 years ago

Time to stock up on Deep Woods Off...

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

We got way too much rain last night.

Found the remainder of my annuals that I was going to plant, floating in about 3 inches of water in my garden cart.

To heck with Deep Woods Off, I think I'll need a canoe first! I'm not staying another 19 years.......

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

"Found the remainder of my annuals that I was going to plant, floating in about 3 inches of water in my garden cart." ... mine were floating in the wheelbarrow, lol.

Konrad, previous to the last few days it's been very dry here, though 2 1/2 inches have fallen in the last two days and more is on the way :(

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I think who ever turned that tap on would you PLEASE turn it off. Enuff already. The creek below my house was almost dry and now is almost a roaring river. Glad my tomatoes are in pots so at least I can move them to a dryer area.

• mikomum
    12 years ago

We're finally getting rain up here in the Peace country. We were dry last year when the prairies flooded and we were dry again this spring. It's been patchy, so far we have got about 2 inches over the past 5 days but farmers 20 minutes away have got up to 5". Guess we'll all be picking chickweed! My aunt's place near Calgary is downright dangerous with overflowing culverts, designed flood plains overflowing and swollen rapid filled creeks.

• don555
    12 years ago

68 mm and counting in my rain guage over the past two days...

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Took my boots off and found webs growing between my toes!!! The dogs have brought in enough mud that I can plant my garden in the house!!! And my basement walls are starting to sprout green things!!! Nuff already!!

• ljpother
    12 years ago

I still need to plant raised beds: carrots and beets, and flat and faba beans. To make room for the beans I need to dig up volunteer black currants and evans cherries. However, the costulo genovese zucchini sprouted in two days. I guess it liked the rain.

Kolrobi and cabbage in containers and my potatoes are doing well with the cool weather.

Then there's the poor sweet potato. It's hanging in but the growing conditions aren't what's recommended.

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I sure can relate to the dogs dragging in mud. If I threw down a bit of grass seed I would have a lovely carpet. Maybe bring in some bunnies to keep it cut.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL....soo...much good entertainment here!

I've heard it's not over until Wednesday!

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

We are a swamp southwest of Calgary. Mud pit for a driveway. The lawn is standing water. I auger-ed some holes with the bobcat a couple of weeks ago and they are completely full of water. I need some heat!!!!!! My hubby says our fields look like Ireland. Cows and horses are happy, love'n the grass. C

12 years ago

Well I now own lake front property! Had to provide the dogs with flippers and a snorkel this morning! Neighbours sump pump spills onto the north side of our property and half of my back yard is underwater. I think the fence floated away and I can't be too sure ALL the dogs are accounted for! Wonder if we could all concentrate and do a syncronized "dry dance"?

• don555
    12 years ago

Now 105 mm in my guage in south Edmonton since Friday. And still it rains...

• luckygal
    12 years ago

More than enough rain here in the hinterland of BC. Dashboard shows sun with only light cloud all week here and the same for Edmonton from Wednesday. Altho it's not always correct. I keep saying it *can't* rain all summer, but maybe it can? :-( I haven't even finished the spring weeding. Not good to garden in wet clay soil. And the mosquitoes are horrendous!

Maybe we need to be doing "sun dances"! ;-D

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Same here...we're in another soggy period! Over 1.5" rain, that's little compared to 200mm more to the north, sun should be coming out on Friday...that's what they say.

12 years ago

This is part of my backyard under the apple tree after the last bout of heavy rain. :(

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

Quack quack Quack !!! Will it never end?

• savona
    12 years ago

I heard on the radio that it is suppose to go to a drying trend with warmer temps. It wont be this week, the predictions is for rain every day. Today they were predicting clouds and rain and so far it has been sunny all morning. Who knows what the weather is going to do..Jean

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Gosh, 4 1/2 inches in the last several days ... many times coming down in torrents and washing and eroding soil away. The only saving factor is that my soil contains a fair bit of sand and gardens are well sloped and drain freely, though in other areas the water is sitting. Please NO more rain and also no more hail either! My gardens are not looking overly thrifty this year.

THE MOSQUITOES ARE THE WORST I'VE EVER SEEN!

12 years ago

Ditto, ditto, ditto!!!!

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH WOW
    I heard Eckville got 7"...it was on TV

Here is a link that might be useful: Eckville flood

• northspruce
    12 years ago

This is just bizarre. Here we have only had 1/2 hour of rain in the past 3.5 weeks. The lawn is crispy brown already. I'm not complaining because our water table desperately needs to go down, but I'm having to water the gardens pretty regularly because it's so dry at the surface.

And this year has about the fewest mosquitoes I can remember. Hordes and hordes of dragonflies and no mosquitoes.

12 years ago

NS- so it is you who is hoarding all the dragonflies. We here in Alberta have started an ark building party and you are mandated to bring the dragon flies.......about 500 BREEDING pairs!! LOL In exchange, you can take back 24 tanker trucks full of rainwater!And mosquito larvae......:)

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL..another week of cool weather with weak bladder.
    Local crop is suffering, here some canola under water..

12 years ago

Oh dear!
    That looks like my backyard only there is only grass under mine! Mother Nature is sure putting us to the test this year, hey? :(

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On the news today...
    Edmonton has a all time record, June & July, total of 272mm of rain.
    In the month of July we only 2 day's without rain in a 21 day period.
    They're saying, the rest of the summer still cool and wet.

11 years ago

Here we are yet again.......year three of rainy summers in Edmonton and more in the forecast. After 2 weeks of heat and forest fires across Alberta, the rain WAS much appreciated. Now it is beginning to be a PITA! I wish we could send it to the sorely needed areas of the US and Canadian provinces. :(

And it is raining again!

Ginny

• north53 Z2b MB
    11 years ago

Well here it was very dry for the entire month, until today when we got 82mm. Luckily it was just rain, no hail. Talk about feast or famine!

• northspruce
    11 years ago

We only had rain twice in July, and once was today. We had 3 good downpours today but my lawn is still brown. We had a bit of hail but it didn't do any harm.

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, but there is light at the end of the tunnel,.. one week of hot dryer weather starting on Friday,...if the weatherman is correct?
    Saskatchewan is now getting the storm.
    Not sure how northern Alberta did with moisture this year, I think last year it was dry.

We sure are doing good with all the moisture and heat, it's sooo... green, most trees & shrubs love this and grow like crazy, some of my spruce trees, [in a low spot] about 15 of them died, some where about 15 years old, looks like that place needs some willow.

11 years ago

I don't know what weatherman you are listening to Konrad, but Josh Classen just forecasted the next 10 days with maybe 2 days of no rain.......So sorry about your trees. :(

Even this old icky lawn is green and I have a tomato forest! And the rest of this old yard is starting to look like a tropical rain forest. :-/

Ginny

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL...it was on Global TV tonight, isolated thunderstorms possible each day, less rain overal with the HEAT coming back.
    Yes, lots of tomato chungel pruning.

So Manitoba is dry, I'll send the rain your way.
    Thanks Ginny for reviving this thread, I forgot about it, you're right, it's the third year in a row, ...then another 17! LOL

• Collin001
    11 years ago

I can say Regina has had an above average rainy season. Not quite double the average. Too much humidity and I can't work outside. The following shot is of late June after about an inch of rain. What is scary isn't the amount it was the intensity of the shower in which the rain came down. Anything more than an inch in an hour and we got problems because of poor lane grade.

The picture below wasn't as bad as the shower two weeks prior which produced the mammatus clouds. I was not finished leveling and the rain was ill timed. You see why there was no garden put in.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

It's pouring here this morning, but we've had less rain than you out west. But we do seem to have those "feast or famine" rains - it would be okay to have a couple of days of gentle rain, but it always seems to pour when it does. Oh well - it means a break in the heat. :)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor