Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allandale_gw

Foxtail Lily (Eremurus)

allandale
9 years ago

Has anyone seen blooms on their foxtails this year? I've had a Cleopatra bloom for 3 years although last year was a bit sparse, I assumed because of a late, hard frost. This past winter it had good mulch and snow cover and I was careful not to uncover early this spring. It has multiplied to 36 growing tips. There's lots of foliage but not a single flower stalk to date. I've not had slug problems before but I'm wondering if that could be the reason. If so, is it odd that slugs would get every single bud? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Love the look of foxtail lilies...I never tried growing it because I assumed it was way outside my zone. I DO have a Rodgersia that bloomed this year for the first time ever (it's at least ten years old).

• xaroline
    9 years ago

This white one bloomed again with just a
    single bloom stalk.

• allandale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes I was told by many locals that I couldn't grow foxtails here but it was featured in Lois Hole's Favourite Perennials book. I thought if she can grow it in Edmonton it will grow in Calgary so I bought one from Hole's greenhouse when they were still doing mail order. It has been a fairly robust plant and has multiplied quickly. So it's disappointing not to see blooms this year, they are really quite spectacular. I did lose a smaller plant this spring that was in a very dry spot under the eaves. It was coming back nicely but I just had to go and over-water. Anyways I'll have to chase down the slug theory. I've read they like to hide right where the buds form, same with Kniphofia. Wood ash perhaps?

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Things are way behind this year. I looked back at my photos from 2013 and my peonies were in full bloom right now...this year, the buds are just starting to fill out. Unless you see that buds are getting eaten or falling off, I would anticipate later blooming. Perhaps this is a good time to give it a shot of high P fertilizer.

• allandale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually Donna that's a really good point. Way behind on a lot of things here as well so I'll give the fertilizer shot a go. Can't hurt. Thanks for the advice.

• Caleb Dayton (zone 5/SD)
    8 years ago

On a bit of a whim i ordered 30 or so Eremurus. Shelford hybrids, bungei, cleopatra. bla bla bla...
    I live in Zone 5 south-eastern SouthDakota. Allandale, do you do anything in particular to prep them for winter? mulching? I feel like im pushing zones with these guys, but you're located in zone 3b? They should arrive sometime in april... Any advise would be appreciated, as I am not so familiar with these beauties.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

Mr. Suki, I am on the border of zones 4 and 5 in central NH. I had some for several years and they survived winters well. I have the beds they were planted in well mulched, but I did nothing extra for the winter. We tend to have good snow cover after the ground has frozen. Mine were eaten by voles one winter, but I enjoyed them while I had them.

• Caleb Dayton (zone 5/SD)
    8 years ago

Good to hear that even on the border of 4 and 5 you have had success. Ill be planting them in several locations in the gardens. Did you prep the soil? I plan on adding a layer of sand beneath the crowns to help with drainage... as well as planting them in the higher (elevation) parts of the beds. but slightly deeper than recommended. how about water? Afraid of rot, but have heard they are thirsty buggers...
    Thanks for the reply.