Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Foxgloves in the far north

Just curious as to what, if any, experience others have had with growing foxgloves in Zone 3ish. I have wanted to try some but am leary as yet. Any info is appreciated. :)

Ginny

Comments (8)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

Hi Ginny, I always grow 'Foxy', it blooms very well from an early sowing. It also self sows and sometimes these overwinter for me, though this had not been reliable and so I always start them indoors in Feb.

I'm also interested in what other types of foxgloves others are growing.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

I love them but they don't like me. I have grown them many times and got only an attractive rosette of leaves. Once I got blooms but the plant didn't come back the next year. That was 'Foxy' too. I suspect they need more sun in our zone than is usually recommended for them, to get them to bloom.

I have been given seeds by other Far North gardeners who collected them so someone must have them blooming.
    :/

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmmmm. Interesting to know. I remember your foxgloves, Terry. In fact, I think I commented then that I hadn't had much luck growing them, come to think of it. I have tried a couple from various catalogue orders but no luck. Pam's choice, Candy Mountain and Foxy (I think). Haven't had much luck starting them either. Same with Delphs.

Going to try growing them from started plants that I bought here in town. I have some roon on the south side of the house outside the fence where the dogs can't get at them. If they don't go this season, I will try again when I move way down south with my pitchfork.;)

I got Candy Mountain, Pam's Choice and Camelot Rose. And one Delph, Sweethearts. I'll report any progress......

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Only the yellow ones have grown for me. I've tried pink ones but no luck. The yellow ones have come back for several years, but i don't think they've reseeded. They're close to the foundation at the back of the house, so maybe that helps. Dunno.

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

I tried foxgloves years ago, but they didn't do too well, much like the Canterbury Bells. The problem with biennials is that they need to overwinter in order to get bloom - not always easy in our severe zones. I seem to recall that some foxgloves can be tricked into blooming the first year, but I can't remember how.

• debbiecz3
    11 years ago

I have good luck with digitalis grandiflora, the yellow foxglove; it is a true perennial foxglove. Have tried and failed several times with the Strawberry Foxglove so have given up on it. Foxy looks good for a season but has never reseeded for me.

• celtic_07
    11 years ago

I've had the perennial digitalis grandiflora for years. they have transplanted very well as small clumps and do well in the full hot sun . The others I grow are biannuals and I do"self-seeding" of the plants all around where they are as the seeds rippen so I know what they are later. Doing this I"ve been able to have many years of these flowers.
    Last time we moved(2yrs.ago) I dug up lots of the small clumps of the yellow flower plants-the leaves are diff. from the other foxglove so easy to id and they bloomed this year.Good luck Lois

• LeoPrairieView
    11 years ago

There is a 'Dropmore' cultivar of yellow foxglove that was bred by Frank Skinner. It has been coming back in the same place for several years now and so appears to be very hardy. The D, Grandiflora I had before that re-seeded in a different place each year and then died off completely. I have no idea if it is still available anywhere.
    Leo

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor