Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirelette

Help/hints for growing daisy type flowers

squirelette
14 years ago

Hi,

After patiently waiting I have given up on the daisy type plants that we planted last year. I also have to admit that I just can not seem to grow daisy type plants. Last year we put in a new garden for the DH and he loves daisy types so we put in Echinacea, Gallardia, and Rudbeckia, I have also tried Painted Daisy. None came back, I am usually able to get one or 2 to came back once and that is it. It is a full sun garden we added new soil mixed with peat and compost to amend and loosen the soil. It is a pretty nice mix this year, everything that came back is looking really good. We lost all the daisies and the cranesbill(??) and one Yarrow. I think the Cranesbill rotted off over the winter as the snowmelt pooled around them. Any hints or suggestions on what I can do or not do, it is so nice to finally have him able to take an strong interest I do not want him to give up. I made sure to check that the Gallardia and Rudbeckia were perienial varities. We bought at Holes so they will repalce what we have lost but is it worth trying them again to be disappointed again next year. I can by the way grow "Bullseye" that we dig out of the bush on the back forty of the family farm but if it comes from the garden center... Please help. he also wants to try carnations but I have no luck with them either, don't even know if they are hardy here, last time I tried was out in Vancouver. Thanks

Comments (9)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Most of those daisy-types are drought resistant and don't like sitting wet. It sounds like the garden might be poorly drained, especially during winter and spring?

For me, the easiest are Shasta Daisies but I also have never had problems growing Rudbeckia, Painted Daisies or Gaillardia.

You could also try Heliopsis or Helenium, they are nice.

• Crazy_Gardener
    14 years ago

Not all cultivars are hardy, in my experience the fancy Echinaceas are border line hardy, living one or two years if we have a good winter with good snow cover. The plain species E. purpurea is the hardiest in our zone, slow to emerge but hardy.

Which ones did you buy and good for you buying them at Holes?

Sharon

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They were newer varieties of the Echinaceas, the only one that pops to mind is Tiki torch, what a beauty, lovely orange color. They were all orange to yellows because DH is trying for something that looks like "Brown Eye Susans" from his Grandma's yard. The soil is well drained except along the front border where the Cranesbill was it does not stay wet long, I kept an eye on drainage last year in case of that problem, it also does not get a lot of snow coverage because of nearby pines acting as a wind break and roof. I do not like buying basics at Holes because they are very expensive but they do have the best warranty if you use Mykes when you plant. Thanks and any other suggestions greatly appreciated

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

I tried for years to start painted daisy from seed with absolutely no luck. 4 years ago I gave up. Then the next spring the tiny babies I had planted and forgot about came up! Now I have them all over the garden! They get almost no sun and not much water either but they have bloomed ever since. This year I have double and the ones in the vegie garden are up and huge! I think I just planted them and forgot about them. Same with 4 varieties of shasta daisy.

I haven't had much success with perennial carnations but I can sure grow dianthus Sweet William or pinks. The cheap little six packs from Can. Tire have been coming back for 3 years now. Bigger and bushier every year.

Why not try Brown Eyed Susans? Agrola on 137 Ave. and 120 Streetish in Edmonton had them last year and they have good prices. Or try Greenland out on highway 16 East. They have a complete list on their website. Hope this helps

Ginny

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Just noticed the carnations part. You won't likely be able to grow large flowered carnations, but there is a huge variety of dianthus that should work for you. I have over 10 types in my yard, they seem to like it here. I have a tall white one that has that nice carnation smell, I think I got the seeds from Sharon but my mind has gone blank for a name.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

Echinaceas, at least the cultivars, are definitely short lived as someone already pointed out. I

I did also have Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum', but again, it lived only for 2 years. This was in two different spots.

Too bad, because I love the daisy flowers.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

Try goblin Gillardia. It thrives in my flower beds. They are short lived but they also reseed themselves. I also agree with shasta daisy It's like a weed

• squirelette
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions I guess we will give it one more try. The last forecast I saw was for rain next week so Mon. or Tues we will go do the exchanges. I have a couple hay bales in the shed I will try covering the garden this winter and see if that helps. The only problem with Shasta daisy is that I have never seen them in yellow or orange. I do have a double white, I think that is what it is it did not bloom last year, that is sending up flower stalks. I hate it when the local critters steal the tags. I have a pond so the critters are in the garden all the time. At least the dogs keep the rabbits and squirrels from mowing everything down.

• hmacdona1
    14 years ago

I have a nice patch of ox-eye daisy I've had in my garden for at least 5 years now. I like them a lot better than shasta daisies because the leaves don't get some darn big and the flower stems don't seem to flop like shastas do in my yard with a little bit of tough weather.

They reseed quite readily as well, but the original patch is still going strong.