Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marricgardens

Great day to plant!

marricgardens
12 years ago

I decided that I was going to plant all my herbs in containers, that way I could keep them near the kitchen door and they would be handy when I need them. When I finished the herbs, I turned to go into the greenhouse to get some annuals to pot up and nearly got stabbed in the eye by a hummingbird. That was the second time in 2 days I had one here, usually they seem to bypass us. When I got to the annuals that were outside already I noticed a swallowtail butterfly on the geraniums. I only see those when I don't have my camera handy. The bumblebees this year seem to be huge and everywhere. My chives have reseeded everywhere in the garden and they were covered with bees. One bee was hanging off a clump and I think it was drunk on nectar! After all that I finally did get around to weeding. How was your day? Marg

Comments (16)

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Stinking cold here today and the forecast for the week is mostly bad.

I envy you. There's a good chance I won't even go out in the garden today =:(

I might plant some lettuce in a bucket. Maybe. Maybe not.

I'd love to see bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds right about now. =:)

Hopefully someone else has a better report than I do.

• macky77
    12 years ago

It was cold and rainy this morning and overcast this afternoon, so no garden time for me today. Risk of frost tonight. There was some gorgeous light in the early evening, but my camera battery was dead (doh). We've seen hummingbirds already this year, too... just not today! One of them buzzed hubby just inside the garage door, of all silly places.

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    12 years ago

It snowed most of the day here! I'll be lucky if I don't lose my warm weather vegetables tonight; the low is expected to hit -1 or -2 here tonight.

• mytime
    12 years ago

Finally it was cloudy, but no rain to speak of. It was a wonderful day to get things done outside...neither me nor the plants were cooking!

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Went out at midnight to cover some beans, it is snowing and minus 2C.

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This wasn't the first warm day we've had but the first dry one! I also rec'd my daylily order that morning but waited til after supper to plant, it's cooler then but I had to fight the mosquitos. Marg

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

This is an awful time of year for me, especially when the weather doesn't cooperate. There always seems to be something going on that interferes with my gardening - something called Real Life! LOL And of course it always seems that if i have the time, it's raining.

I managed to get outside for awhile last night and get a few things done. The mosquitoes weren't so bad, but the no-see-'ems were the worst! Finally after about an hour, i came in. I wasn't organized enough to find bug dope before i went out. Today it's supposed to be nice but we need to bring the dog to town for his shots and then it's the princess' birthday party and that's more important than gardening! :) I might be able to get in several hours tomorrow - fingers crossed, and weeds beware!

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

still covering tomatoes and beans here too. Forecast is for some more rain this week with lows about 4-5 and that means frost where I'm at. (outside of town and at the bottom of a hill) Everything is up in the veg garden, but slow to put on any growth. My early irises are just about to bloom. They are the first in my garden to do so, so it must mean temps are starting to climb. C

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

I made the mistake of planting my window box yesterday morning when it was lovely out. Somehow during the day we changed seasons...from a warm day to one with windchills in the minus range. Those poor plants were being whipped around. I have covered them, but time will tell if they survive.

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

This time of the year demonstrates the difference between Southern Ontario and the Prairies. No offense to southern Ontarians of course, but each time they complain about their spring weather, they should look at the forecast for Edmonton or Saskatoon or Calgary. Southern Ontario is reliably warm from early June to early September. Saskatoon is reliably warm from the 15th of July to the 25th of July.

It is the biggest myth ever that the Prairies have hot summers, even by Canadian standards. Prairie gardeners are always playing the lottery when they garden, including in the summer.

Wondering if we'll get into double digits at all today. Snow was forecasted this morning.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Oh great, now I see we have a frost warning for tonight.....-2C is forecast. DH did see flakes while freezing half to death on the golf course this morning.
    Needless to say I haven't planted anything today.

• weeper_11
    12 years ago

There was about 10 snow flakes out today! Sheesh. I think we MAY have got up to 10 above though. We did have a frost warning last night, but we didn't get any. It was cool and overcast, but the ground was moist in the garden so I went out and pulled a bunch of dandelions.

Speaking of the prairies and hot summers...well...sometimes! I remember some sweltering summers. But the last few years have been awful.

I planted my hanging baskets finally the day before yesterday, but I haven't hung them up yet because it has been pretty windy and cold and the poor little guys don't look very happy about being outside in the first place, let alone on the corner of our exposed, windy deck! Hoping for some heat soon...

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

Summers on the prairies used to be much hotter. Maybe our cold cycle is almost over. Years ago, I remember not being able to walk on the sidewalks without shoes. Parts of the blacktop on the roads would be soft because of the heat. I'm guessing Slimy_Okra just isn't old enough, or been here long enough to know what real summers on the praires are, LOL ! =:)

Anyway, the title "Great Day to Plant!" finally came true here, just two days later.

Today I planted tomatoes, leeks, marigolds, jacob's ladder, joe pyeweed, fernleaf peony, salvia, and probably something else I can't remember.

The rest of the week is back to crappy weather =:(

We just can't catch a break, no matter where in Canada we are.....

• marricgardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I remember those hot summers too. Sometimes I wish they were still around but last few summers have been cold, wet and windy! Guess that's what they call 'global warming'. We're supposed to be in for a few nice days so maybe I can get my garden planted. My pepper plants, still in pots, have fruit on them! Today I just finished some more planters. Here's hoping for better weather this summer.

• Slimy_Okra
    12 years ago

Yep, moved here in 2003 but didn't have my first real garden until 2008. I'm frustrated and fed up of the cold summers. Winter is bad enough but summer is just one long disappointment. Sometimes they even have better summers in the NWT. It's like spring here upto July 31 and fall from August 1. I like a lot of things about here but the climate is a deal-breaker. I guess it's okay for growing carrots, beets and potatoes but blah. I needed five blankets last night. Looking forward to moving to southern Ontario if I find a job and a home. But I'm not too hopeful with the economy the way it is over there.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I also remember summers being longer and hotter on the Prairies. But most of all, drier. Even up until about 2002, it was basically dry all the time with moisture coming from passing thundershowers. Lake Winnipeg in the late 1980s was down 5 feet from normal, new islands appearing, etc. but now it is up 8 feet from normal. So +/- 12 feet over an area that huge, is a LOT of water our Province is trying to drain and we keep getting more and more rain and no heat to evaporate it.

Anyway this morning it was the usual 8 degrees and cloudy, but at noon it cleared and got hot and steamy so I planted out the rest of my seedlings. Half my phlox rotted last week from sitting in cold and damp.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz