Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Need advice on planting my roses please

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

I'm almost ready to plant my Emily Carr, George Vancouver, and ???, Lost the tag =:(

I understand that planting the bud union 4-6 inches underground is how I do it in this climate. However, I'm not sure about whether or not to prune the branches up the six inches or just bury them. Pruning them seems almost obvious, but since I don't know a whole lot about growing roses, I don't really want to guess.

Help please =:)

Oh, and I'm so excited.........my George Vancouver has 15 buds on it !!

Comments (8)

• ndgrdnr
    14 years ago

There may be a better person to answer your question, but I have always just buried the branches! I'll prune off any that look spindly or unhealthy first. I've had really good luck doing this. My roses sometimes die back to the ground, but since they are on their own root, they always grow back from the ground and bloom in no time! I'm not sure which zone you are in, but I really love Winnepeg Parks!

• northspruce
    14 years ago

More & more of these hardy roses are being sold own-root, even from Walmart etc. Check that it is actually a grafted plant before you bother digging the 14" hole.

Then yes, bury the canes. I always try to buy roses that either have a relatively long "trunk" above the bud union, or at least don't have two grafts sticking straight out either side. This can make it impossible to bury to the right depth.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, my George Vancouver says own root. Does that mean I just plant it with the soil level with what's in the pot?

• sazzyrose
    14 years ago

I always plant them deep no matter what. It gets cold here so this is my preferred method. I have had good luck so far.
    And no I don't prune them. I just bury them.

Shelley

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sazzyrose. I bought these particular roses from your list and saw your pictures (?), so I'm going to plant them the way you do, too. I hope mine do even half as well as yours =:)

Thanks!

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I plant own-root roses a little deeper, maybe 2-3". It wouldn't hurt to go deeper.

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I meant I plant own-root roses a little deeper than the soil level. Not deeper than grafted roses. Sun's hot today, I'm not making sense.

• don555
    14 years ago

Not sure what variety or how hardy your roses are, so this may or may not be helpful. I grow hybrid tea roses in zone 3a and they have done well for at least 5 years. I plant them deep and on about a 45 degree angle to maximum the amount of branch that is underground. They look kind of stupid for awhile, but the new growth is straight up and soon you have no idea they were planted on an angle. Anyway, they often die right to ground level even though I mulch them in the fall, but the new growth from underground comes back strong. This year's growth is about a foot tall now and growing strongly.

I have a few Morden roses, which are much hardier than hybrid teas, but nowhere near as hardy as Rugosa roses. For the Morden centennial roses I planted them level with the ground and I don't mulch them -- they die back quite a bit each year, to maybe a foot above the ground, but the new growth in spring is strong.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor