Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidpeaceriver__2b

Unusual Herbs

Is anyone experimenting with rare or unusual herbs this year? I have two herb patches as none of my local markets reliably stock even standards such as dillweed, thyme, and oregano. As you can imagine, getting the perennials to survive is a challenge, though the owner of a local nursery swears that she's been able to overwinter her rosemary outside here at Peace River townsite for several years. I find that very hard to believe, but would be thrilled if it were true.

This year I'm trying the following (and they've all done beautifully during our cool and damp spring):

Lovage

Rue

Chervil

Stevia

Fennel

Sweet woodruff

Has anyone had success with Borage, Costmary, or Caraway?

Comments (11)

• beegood_gw
    12 years ago

I think Borage will grow anywhere. We grew it when I was a kid way up in Northern Ontario. Usually had frost in June and again in August. If her "Rosemary" winters it's not Rosemary

• don555
    12 years ago

I've seen borage grown as a commercial farm crop around Edmonton. I tried growing stevia in my backyard one year -- got enough leaves to sample and decide it wasn't something that really suited my taste, but that was about the extent of its growth.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

My lovage plant is many years old and comes back beautifully. Also have lots of lavender Munstead. I had a rue for many years but it didn't survive transplanting - they apparently don't like being moved. Haven't found another in the garden centres here yet.

I grew borage in zone 6 altho it's annual so should grow almost anywhere. Pretty plant I should try again.

Difficult to believe rosemary would survive a cold winter altho I grew it in the garden from seed before I heard that's difficult to do! I can't get one to overwinter in the house so have given up and treat it as an annual.

This year I had lovage, oregano, thyme, purple sage, lavender, and chives overwinter and bought dill, parsley, rosemary, peppermint (growing in a pot, never again in the garden), more oregano, thyme, and green sage - which apparently the marmots like so not sure if those will survive. :-(

• northspruce
    12 years ago

The most worthwhile "unusual" herb I've grown was cilantro. It's so delicious for cooking and making salsa, and it looks nice and self-seeds too. I haven't grown it for a few years but I should again.

Sweet woodruff is a nice shade perennial, good enough for its ornamental value even if you don't use it for anything else. It will spread to fill a space.

• squirelette
    12 years ago

Both borage and woodruff come very close to crossing into the weed category for me, the dill crossed over long ago its everywhere. I remember one very wet summer where I cut the borage back every week because it would shoot up so fast and then the rain would beat it down. the bees love it tho

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

I wish my dill would reseed every year. The past couple of years our falls have been so crappy the seeds have not matured. Can you believe it I traded for dill seeds on the "exchange" site.

Still need to get my butt in gear, and seed some more herbs. My seedlings of lime basil, sweet basil and rosemary got attacked with aphids and did not survive.

Also do cilentro, thyme. Cheryl

• savona
    12 years ago

I did Stevia from seed this year and they are planted out in a raised vege bed. I find the taste is somewhat like sweet tea. My plan is to dry and store the leaves.I grew borage one year but I kept finding seedlings for several years afterwards and yes the bees love it. Jean

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

That is hard to believe, Cheryl! We're usually overrun with dill!

• davidpeaceriver__2b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions about borage; I'm definitely going to try that one next year.

None of my dill reseeded itself either, although I do have plenty of coriander coming up again. That's amazing to me, as I was sure that I cut off all the seedpods while they were still green and brought them inside to dry out. Hm.

• ljpother
    12 years ago

I have comfrey in the second year. It's about 3' around and has nice pink flowers. I have it partial shade. Apparently, the leaves are an excellent source of potassium.

• xaroline
    12 years ago

Caraway is a biennial and survives the winter here.
    Borage and Dill reseed here.
    Lovage returns as a perennial here.
    Caroline Calgary

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure