Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columnar or upright Sand Cherry

Posted by cmmwiebe SK 2a-3b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 14, 11 at 16:13

I am wondering if anyone has discovered or is growing an upright Prunus Bessyi. I have one that appears to be quite upright but it was girdled by the voles or mice during this past winter and is now dead on the top. There are shoots coming from the bottom so I am sure I will be able to get a good standard stem again but would like to find another from which I could get seed and try to grow a selection.

I have a whole row of Cherry Plum seedlings which all got girdled and are now coming from the root so quite a mess of shoots which makes a lot of work to fix.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columnar or upright Sand Cherry

I grow them for a while...as far as I know they grow upright but soon they weep. Your damage will recover soon with new shoots, you'll see at the end of the season they
look just fine.
One thing I'm trying to grow upright is by top graft cherry plum onto plum trees. I want to to the same with the sand cherry...need to find a host.
I'm doing it the other way too, grafting plums onto cherry plum
and sand cherry...resulting in a dwarfing low tree.

o
RE: Columnar or upright Sand Cherry

Hi Konrad!
Most of the seedlings I have tried over the years tend to want to grow as a shrub (naturally)but I am trying to train some up into a more upright style. The one I have seems to like this so I will prune off the suckers but one and try again. The row of cherry plum seedlings has several of them that seem to want to grow upright rather than bush like so we will see how that goes.

I have not gotten into trying grafting or budding much as I tend to be a seedling grower. Rootstock is always a challenge for the plum family. My friends over at Little Tree Nursery in Martensville, SK use Sand Cherry for all their plums as far as I know. I have never had good success with plants which I bought on Sand Cherry rootstock. Probably I did not plant them deep enough. I have been told by a friend at the Hort Department at the U of Sask that they are finding that cuttings taken very low on the plant will root - ie plums, apples etc. I have not really tried this but it would be worth it. I picked up some Ptitsin #3 and #5 cuttings from them a week ago so will plant them out soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here