Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow passion flower vine?

Posted by debbiecz3 z3MB (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 16:58

I'm trying this for the first time this year. It's planted in a large pot with trellis against a south facing stucco wall. I wonder if this is too intense in regards to heat and full sun from about 11;00 am? Do they need a lot of fertilizer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow passion flower vine?

I started one from seed many years ago and it grew aggressively and never bloomed. I experimented and left it outside for it's second winter and it died. I now realize they are no where near zone 3 hardy.

Then, last week I saw one at the store that had a couple of flower buds on it, so I bought it. I figure that's a hopeful sign that this time my plant might actually bloom. According to my tropicals book ("Hot Plants for Cool Climates"), it says to plant against a south facing wall, especially in northern zones as apparently they love heat and reflected heat. Average watering needs, though in your warm spot against the house you may have to water more often. As for fertilizing, I think they have average fertilizer needs but too much fertilizer and they produce loads of green leaves but no blossoms. The book also said that in general the plant is never loaded with blossoms, but only a few on the plant at one time are enough to generate interest since the blossoms are so unique.

I put my new plant in a pot in almost full sun and made an obelisk out of bamboo stakes for it to climb on. I was going for the 'tropical' look. It's supposedly an aggressive grower which is fine by me, summer is only so long anyways.

Last time i had a passionflower vine (when I started from seed many years ago), for the first winter I just trimmed back and kept in a cool basement windowsill. I think I read that some passion flowers are hardy to zone 5 so I thought I would try overwintering in zone 3, not successful and apparently, they aren't that hardy in zone 5 without protection there.

Glen

o

Thanks Glen. I have had a few blossoms open; they are certainly unusual and spectacular. My plant hasn't put on a lot of growth yet, I'm hoping it will take off now that we finally have some heat. I think I will just try to overwinter it in the basement, or maybe take some cuttings to try as a houseplant over the winter. Debbie

o

Indeed plant the following variety up against the south side of your foundation and it should survive in zone 3 ... I know I'm gonna give it a try! Terry

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/passiflora/msg0718052415580.html

http://www.floridata.com/ref/P/passiflo.cfm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here