Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
swapping cistena for ninebark, Centreglow

Posted by north53 1b Manitoba (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 19, 10 at 17:28

Well I hope I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak. My poor cistena took such a hit this past winter, I've decided to dig it out. It was beautiful and quite large, but has barely leafed out so far. There's a bit of growth near the base.
Anyway and went out and bought a Centreglow Ninebark. I haven't had much success with the lime coloured ninebark (I can't remember which variety it was), but I thought I'd read somewhere that the newer varieties were more hardy.
Please reassure me if you can, lol. I'm feeling badly about ripping out the cistena, but it's in quite a focal point in my garden and something needs to be done. I'll feel quite foolish if I end up doing the same thing next year, though.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: swapping cistena for ninebark, Centreglow

I grow diablo here in 2b and it does fine; I've seen it listed as zone 2. I would think that centreglow has a similar rating being a cross between diablo and darts gold I believe. I've looked at centreglow myself and am considering it. There is another ninebark cultivar that sounds very attractive but for the life of me I can't remember its name. Anyway, I think you should be fine with your purchase. A lot of my ornamental trees are looking worse for wear this year; it was a difficult fall and winter!

o

I have Coppertina and Centreglow. The Coppertina has come through three winters quite well, though there was a lot of tip kill this year. This was the Centreglow's first winter and it came through quite well considering the tough winter we had. It's a good choice, Marie!

o

Oh, Thank you for those encouraging words.
Now to get my DH to cooperate. I will need his help to get that shrub out of there. There's no way I can attempt it myself.

o

I'm hoping to get mine out this summer too, and i think it's going to be a big job. It's not very big, but i imagine the roots are way out there!

o

You're wise to get your DH to help remove that shrub. Don't try to do it when he's not home.

This morning I was planting my new Blue Fox Willow near where a tree had been removed and it's stump ground.

I, of course, came upon some roots as I was digging my hole. Holy Cow! At first I thought the previous owner had buried a piece of 2x4 or something. One of the roots was so big I thought I was going to break the shovel handle trying to pry it out! Two other ones needed to be cut and pulled out.

When will I ever learn......

o

I'm starting to realize my limitations.......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here