Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Has Your Nelly Moser Done Anything Yet?

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

I keep looking for any signs of life on my 3 year old Nelly Moser. I was hoping it would bloom better for me this year now that it's had a chance to establish itself.

Does anyone else have growth, should I wait longer, or do you think it should be on Weeper's "What Didn't Make It" List?

Comments (6)

• glen3a
    13 years ago

I have a Hagley Hybrid thats at least 7 years old that never returned and shows no signs yet either. I am not digging it up, however, as I had a similar thing happen to a couple of other clematis a few years ago(Jackmanii that I thought they were dead) and then in late June they finally started growing.

Of course they were a smaller version of themselves that year but within a couple of years they returned to their glorious self. I am only guessing but perhaps every few years part of the root died but part didn't? Either that or maybe the part that's below ground and readily sends up shoots in spring died out?

Anyway, I wish you luck and hopefully mine will make an appearance too. It's my favorite clematis and in part shade so when I planted it as a small plant it took a while to get established. Almost debating buying a new one as a back up, but then I may have to find root for two.

Oh, I also have a little duckling clematis (better known as Piilu) that appears dead. As it was it's first winter and the second Piilu I am trying, for that one I assume it just wasn't hardy enough.

Glen

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

I've lost several clematis over the years and none have ever come back. :( I think my Nelly is up and running - haven't taken a good look at her lately, but i'm pretty sure she's okay.

Glen, i just bought Piilu. Do you think winter protection might help?

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glen - I think I like your guessing about the roots. Mine is planted against a fence that hides my compost bin, so it's possile it stayed frozen longer than other things. I can only hope.

I used to have a Jackmani that I thought was dead and covered the spot with a planter. Later in the year there was an invasive vine in parts of the yard which I pulled up by the roots. As I was pulling one of them up, it occurred to me that I may have just uprooted my Jackmani clematis! I should have replanted the darn thing. Live and learn =:)

• fillagirl
    13 years ago

Did a walk around the yard this morning and discovered that 2 clematis that I though were dead have some green starting to poke out of the ground!!! I am excited, I planted eight late last summer that I found on sale at CT and wasn't sure they would make it, but so far, 4 of the 8 are coming up. And it's in a shadier part of the yard so I won't pull out the other ones yet, you never know!!

So don't give up on the clematis yet, it's been such a wet and cloudy spring!

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

Still no sign of life on my Jackmanii. What I thought might have been a shoot was lamiastrum.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

My N.M. clematis is putting on a good show this year. I know I'm in a warmer zone than you guys but I wouldn't worry about my clematis. They come up when they're ready! Like Glen, I've had some come up later during the summer or fall. Some never came up that year but came up fine the next spring, go figure! As long as they come back. I would just wait and see if it comes up later. If it doesn't come up by next spring, treat yourself to a new plant. Marg

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor