Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Any Semp Lovers out there?

Crazy_Gardener
16 years ago

I know that Pudge grows Sempervivums (Hen & Chicks) and basically it was she who got me hooked after seeing her beautiful rock garden. Last year she recommended Cavendish Perennials in Ontario, but I never got around to it till yesterday. So far without receiving the Semps yet, their customer service is super!

Cavendish website doesn't have any photos but many of them can be looked up at this website.

SEMPERVIVUM - CULTIVAR - INDEX

These are the ones that I just ordered....

BRONCO

DAMASK

DIRECTOR JACOBS

LILAC TIME

RASPBERRY ICE

RED ACE (out of stock, so heÂs going to surprise me)

S. tectorum SUNSET

SPRITE

WHIRLIGIG

Jovibarbas hirta HEDGEHOG (figured I would try a Jovi too)

These are the ones that I bought last year from Parkland Perennials and are all doing wonderful...

S. arachnoideum COBWEB

CARMEN

GEORGETTE

JUNGLE FIRES

PURPLE BEAUTY

I also have a few from a winter hardy seed mix, but the colours are not as eye catching as purchased chicks.

I canÂt believe how tough and productive they are. About 2 weeks ago, I accidentally snapped off a stolon while weeding and tossed it to the side. Well, today I noticed that it has taken root and producing another plant!

I want to order many more next year because there are so many cool looking kinds to choose from, but I think I will have to extend out my rock garden if I want to grow more. LOL

Btw Pudge, how did your Semp containers sell at the Farmer's Market?

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: CAVENDISH PERENNIALS

Comments (30)

• wildie
    16 years ago

I like them very much. for the last 2 years I have recieved pkgs of mixed from a lady I know in Slovakia and I tried to overwinter them inside, both years they haven't made it. They are now living in my flowerbeds not in containers.
    So this year I ordered a pkg of mixed semp seeds from Thompson & Morgan, and I hope to extend my collection that way. Right now I have a single red tipped that a neighbor broke off her plant this spring and I asked her for it. And 7 small chicks from a plant I bought last year @ Walmart which died but these I baby'd thru the winter, it is a wooly red tipped.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Thanks for that link Sharon. Because of that, I now know the name of this little guy.

His name is Oddity, which kind of fits the appearance. I always thought it looked like it would belong more on the ocean bottom, rather than on land.;^)

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

I was just at the Cavendish site a couple of nights ago - thinking of ordering some more varieties. I'm glad to see you've included Raspberry Ice, Sharon - that's a beauty. I was really happy with my Cavendish order a couple of years ago - no hesitation about ordering from them again.

I like 'Oddity' Laurie, although it could also be fittingly named 'Alien'

I know what you mean about expanding the rock garden. I've been looking around, wondering where I could make another one. Oh well, if all else fails I'll make more troughs to grow them in.

I've got another hundred or two rooting along with sedum cuttings. My unknown green with red tips (redder in the cool months) needed some serious thinning this year - it is incredibly prolific. I got a clump from mom a few years back and have probably thrown out a few hundred since.

I haven't set up at Farmers Market just yet - I did go yesterday but just to pay my membership, stash my new canopy in the FM shed, and scout out a new location. We're going on another camping trip (Greenwater Lake PP) leaving on Friday, so my first day at FM will be June 30 and I'll take some of those semp pots along then. Maybe by then I'll have figured out what to charge for them.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I like semps too! Although I don't have any named ones. There are some large green ones that came with the house - they're several inches across. Will try to get a pic later.

Laurie, Oddity is so cool!

My home computer doesn't do PDFs, I will have to check out Cavendish's catalogue at work.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wildie, I was going to ask if anyone grows semps indoors, I guess they don't do too well.

Wow, that's a cool looking Semp Laurie! Gotta get that one!

Pudge, hundred or two rooting.....LOL, my goodness sakes girl. I really need to visit your FM someday!

They do grow and spread very fast, maybe we can do some trading next year when mine get a little bit bigger ;)

I'll have to take photos of the ones that I have already, they are starting to push up flowers.

These are just cool looking fuss-free plants, I'm glad that Pudge got me into them!

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention, here is another wonderful website for Semps, although based in the USA, they have photos to use as a reference.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Squaw Mountain Gardens

• wildie
    16 years ago

If you grow them indoors right from the start they do well, but don't bother trying to overwinter them!!! Mine always did fine till about Dec, then would start fading fast.
    I had been growing them in containers, but now have 3 "clumps" in spots in the flowerbed and have 2-3 spots where I could put more.
    I'm checking out that 1st site and wow, if my seeds don't germinate I'll definately be ordering from there!!!

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

I think a lot of folks like Semps, even when they don't know what they are! I took 9 of my 15 semp containers to Farmer's Market today and sold out in no time flat. Some knew (sort of) and others had no idea what they were - and then were happy to hear they were perennial and could be planted out into the garden at the end of summer. I did up some 'how to care for your semps' sheets as well. I mentioned to others that I'll be back next week with more and they said they'd be back as well. Good thing I have more rosettes & sedum cuttings rooted - time to make up more containers. I landed up charging $10/12/15 based on size of container with the largest being a 10". No hesitation from the customers on pricing.

Off topic, but I'll mention that bouquets also sold out within 2 hours. I used 3-5 peonies/ladies mantle/baby's breath/painted daisy/sweet william and hosta leaves (yeah, darn, I didn't take any pics). Dried stuff sold well, too. I packed up early and came home with 3 items. That felt good, and I'm looking forward to and planning for next week.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Pudge,

I am placing an order with Cavandish Perennials on Tues. (after the long weekend) after reading this thread and mulling over the idea of actually ordering hens and chicks by mail.

I also partake in Farmer's Markets with perennials. I made up 2 shallow clay pots with 3-4 kinds of hens and chicks planted in soil with a little pea gravel on top to look 'pretty'. Both of them sold today. Can you tell me, which hens and chicks you have that are
    -really eye catching...
    -increase well for you that you would then use in the containers for farmer's markets...
    -which ones you got from Cavanish that you really like...
    -slower growing ones but 'must haves' in your garden....
    -hens and chicks you ordered from Cavanish that did not make it, maybe due to the zone we live in compared to southern Ontario's warmer climate...

I thought I would order the 12 variety package in large, med and small and then place a few specific individual orders also and that is why my questions above.

Sharon, of the ones you have already...which ones does he carry that are your absolute favorite(s) and can you post a picture of them?

Thanks,

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good for you Pudge, you made some good coin!

Brenda, these are the ones I got from Cavanish, he threw in a couple of bonuses....

BRONCO
    DAMASK
    DIRECTOR JACOBS
    FRODO
    FROST & FLAME
    LILAC TIME
    PACIFIC SEXY
    RASPBERRY ICE
    SPRITE
    SUNSET
    WHIRLIGIG
    Jovibarbas hirta HEDGEHOG

They're kind of small right now to take photos.

Here is a photo of my favourite one that I purchased last year that might interest you and Cavanish does sell quite a few cobweb types as well.

Sempervivum arachnoideum 'Cobweb'

I'll see if I can remember to take photos tomorrow of the other Semps that I planted last year.

Sharon

• garden_chicken
    16 years ago

I saw in Safeway (of all places) 4" pots of Semps for sale. Good variety, very nice healthy looking plants. They didn't have labels on them, or price tags for that matter. They were in with the African Violets & table ferns. Poor things. They must have been having an identity crisis! I really wanted to rescue a couple of the nicer ones, but I'm still in serious restraint mode.

My (beloved) hypertufa trough finally succumbed to the stresses of being moved (several times) & broke into pieces a couple weeks back. It was just filling in very nicely with Semps, they looked so good... all the little plants are now stuffed into plastic pots until I have a permanent home for a new trough. The new trough will be bigger, that means I'll need more Semps...:)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Garden Chicken, I just saw those semps at Safeway too! They're a 4" clay pot for $4.99. It would be nice if they were named.

Sharon, that cobweb semp is so pretty!

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

The ones I used the most, Brenda, are my unnamed green with red tipped ones. They're hell bent on taking over the world, so keeping them in check is a yearly thing.

The customers didn't really care what they were getting. They just liked the looks of them with the rocks. In almost all of the containers I threw in a few of the burgundy or red colored ones for a nice contrast. I also used various rooted sedum cuttings, including Autumn Joy.

My Cavendish order, year before last, included Damask, Plastic, Legolas, Plumb Rose, Raspberry Ice, Red Ace, Aross, Packardian, Pacific Sonata, Festival, Fuego, Director Jacobs, Lynn's Choice, Blue Boy, Lilac Time, Butterbur, and Magnificum. Many of my tags have faded, so I'm really not sure what's what out there any more except for a few that stand out in my memory. I like them all for one reason or another :)

I don't know how one chooses. If you order a starter pack, I'm sure that it includes those which are prolific (and they would have a lot on hand). Legolas or Plumb Rose hold their purple colour through the hot months. Otherwise, reading thru the catalogue listing will indicate if they're fast growing. I think they're all equally hardy when it comes to winter - I didn't take that into consideration at all when ordering. Drainage is the key - I lost some to rot.

That is a beautiful semp, Sharon. Your weed free beds always just blow me away - it seems I've always got a dandelion or some other beast poking thru. I don't know your secret, but whatever you're doing, it sure is working.

Sharon, I'd be happy to do a trade, and Brenda if you'd like some of my unnamed prolific semps, I think I could still spare a few more this year - let me know.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Gil and Pudge, my secret is lots of mulch in the other beds, the rock garden and Iris beds are twice a week weeding. I don't mind weeding because it gets me close and personal with all my perennials.
    Ok, it's a deal, will trade next year, by then my new ones should be a bit bigger to give you a piece.
    Did you place another order with Cavendish then?

Today, I took some photos of my other Semps that I purchased last year.

{{gwi:698942}}
    JUNGLE FIRES

{{gwi:701900}}
    PURPLE BEAUTY

{{gwi:697947}}
    GEORGETTE

CARMEN

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

So, I got my order from Cavandish Perennials last week.

I ordered a set of large, a set of medium sized and a set of small sized semps. I also asked for a fast growing red variety. These are the semps that he sent to me.

In the white (cobweb) type...
    Arachnoideum var. tomentosum (small)
    Kramer's Spinrad (large)
    Zepheline (small)

fringed and tufted types...
    Donar Rose (medium)
    Sprite (small)
    Velanovsky (medium)

yellow or charteuse shades...
    Pekinese (small)

Light Green...
    Clothilde (medium)
    Zelebori (medium)

Mid Green shades...
    Piloseum (medium)

Green with contrasting dark tips...
    Reinhard (small)

Gold-Green
    Titania (large)

Pink and Rose Shades
    Fame (large)
    Othello (large)

Bronze and Brown Shades
    marmoreum 'Brunneifolium' (medium)

Bright red and terracotta shades
    Ford's Spring (small)
    Gay Jester (large)
    Merkur (medium)
    Spherette (medium)

Darker Reds
    Cranberry (medium)
    Crimsonette (Large)
    Darjeeling (small)
    Dusky (medium)
    Dynamo (medium)
    Granada (large)
    Red Devil (medium)
    Rubrum Borsch (medium)
    Tordeur's Memory (medium)

Purple and Violet Shades
    Bellott's Purple (large)
    Damask (large)
    Treebeard (medium)

Near blues, lilacs, lavendars
    Big Blue (large)
    Pacific Blue Ice (medium)
    Virgil (medium)

other colour variations
    Caliph's Hat (large)
    Skrocki (large)

Jovibarba
    Green Globe (small)

So, if these take well, does anyone want to do some trading starting next year or the year after?

There was such a variety that Jack from Cavandish Perennials sent me. I was really impressed. I have most of them planted up and am finding that he sent me 3-5 large rosettes of each with assorted medium sized and babies also.

For the farmer's market these are the types of containers I am making up. I am getting a lot of postive comments on them and have sold some also. Next year I would like to start using some of the semps that I just got from Cavandish and plant up more varieties of containers. I am finding that people are asking for the red colors of semps and also want to buy them individually, not just in a planter with other kinds of assorted semps and sedums.

{{gwi:702591}}

Brenda

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Wow, what a great selection, Brenda. And your containers look super. Before I commit to a trade I have to figure out what's what in my garden - I'm not always great at remembering what's planted where...

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

I intend to be putting in a rather long retaining wall / alpine garden ... that I'll fill with all sorts of interesting dwarf plants, including tons of semps ... will definitely be placing an order to Cavendish!

Terry

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

I just got my second order of semps from Cavandish. These are the ones I decided that I really wanted, after the first order was already on its way, as well as the bonus plants that he sent to me.

aross
    bascour silver
    boromir
    cleveland morgan
    director jacobs
    downland queen
    edge of night
    festival
    frodo
    frost and flame
    frosty
    gamma x tectorum
    georgette
    ginnie's delight
    gloriosum
    jasper
    jet stream
    jewel case
    jungle fires
    legolas
    lively bug
    lynn's choice
    magnificum
    packardian
    plumb rose
    raspberry ice
    ruby heart
    silver thaw
    sunset
    westerlin
    whirligig

Now, to get time to plant them all out. I have all of them labelled and some planted already. It is amazing how different each of them are from the other!

Brenda

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

I love semps, but don't have a rock garden. I just play with them. This is this year's creation.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Kind of a neat looking ball.

How were you planning on overwintering the semps?

Brenda

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Brenda, I've been pondering your question. When I planted the ball I wasn't thinking about overwintering the semps, but since they are doing quite nicely in there I think I will attempt it. If anyone has suggestions I would like to hear them. I have nothing to lose, however, as I do have more semps in the ground.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Can you hang it in a window in the house for the winter? Just don't water it too much.

Another possibility...this one might have to be done differently then what I am suggesting....

Dig a big hole, line it with straw. Once the ground is frozen and the ball is frozen, place it inside the hole, cover with more straw, then a board and more straw. Then first thing in the spring take it out so that it is not frozen in there so that it would get water logged or anything. I don't have any idea whether something like this would work or not. I would think you would want to keep dirt off the semps that are on the bottom and sides of the ball. This would be like putting the whole thing in 'cold storage'.

But, if the hole in the ground idea doesn't work, like you said...there are 'more semps in the ground'.

Let us know what you are going to do. Then, in the spring how it did.

Brenda

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Last year i planted semps in a wooden trough planter. We didn't have a lot of snow last year but we had some cold weather after the snow melted and i think that's what did them in. In any case, they didn't survive. I was trying to think as well what you could do with that ball. The hole in the ground didn't occur to me - i was just thinking that you should somehow make sure it's well-protected with lots of snow cover. What about just laying it on the grass and cover with leaves and an empty container?

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

So, as I have been going through the yard I am finding that so far, all the semps that I planted last summer have made it through the winter....so... (as if I need more...)

Here is a list of semps and other perennials that Laurie and I received just over a week ago from Cavendish Perennials. They are all so different again from each other, it is amazing the variety of semps available. We had such a hard time even keeping the list this short.

Sempervivums
    405 Adelmoed
    012 Ajax
    303 Akhenaten
    R01 Alcithoe
    017 Amanda
    025 Aymon Correvaon
    216 Black Velvet
    308 Blush
    339 Bowles Giant
    310 Brown Owl
    040 Bunny Girl
    043 Butterfly
    312 Canada Kate
    402 Centurion
    055 Clara Noyes
    P02 Cresta
    060 Crispyn
    323 Dallas
    325 Dark Cloud
    329 Dyke
    332 El Toro
    069 Eminent
    335 Eomer
    W05 Eureka
    076 Exorna
    X01 Fame Montrose ...really neat thick colorful leaves.
    338 Firebird
    403 Ford's Shadow
    084 Fuego
    091 Glaucum Minor
    555 Grapetone
    343 Grammens
    222 Granat
    098 Grey Dawn
    099 Greyfriars
    100 Gypsy
    346 Hayling
    559 Heigham Red
    105 Hey Hey
    106 Icicle
    350 Jungle Shadows
    115 King George
    356 Lilac Time
    357 Limelight
    361 Majestic
    571 Maria Laach
    129 Marmalade
    138 Mulberry Wine
    367 Ohio Burgundy
    143 Pacific Devil's Food
    374 Pacific Sexy
    375 Pacific Sonata
    147 Pacific Sparkler
    149 Pallisander
    157 Plastic
    161 Purple Passion
    382 Red Ace
    383 Red Flush
    166 Rosie
    D05 Royanum
    214 Saga
    406 Silberspitz
    390 Spice
    178 Spring Mist
    181 Starshine
    394 Theoden
    395 Thunder
    L02 Truva
    394 Twilight Blues
    403 Unicorn
    194 Viking
    599 Wendy
    400 Zenobia
    401 Zulu

Other perennials...
    Orostachyts...4 different varieties, including his own, Peach Perfect.
    958 saxifrage paniculata
    961 ternatum sedum

So, all of mine are planted up in my greenhouse, Laurie's are under the lights in her basement.

Now that they are already planted up I can transplant them anytime into their permanent spots in the yard...as I find a place for each.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Brenda, thats quite the collection you ordered. I too ordered about a week ago. I'll probably put in another order in July when I have my new bed made. I need to buy some more sand.

AMANDA
    APPLE BLOSSOM
    CARNIVAL
    CASA
    CLARA NOYES
    DARK CLOUD
    FUZZY WUZZY
    GAY JESTER
    GRANADA
    HESTER
    KRAMERÂS SPINRAD
    MARIA LAACH
    PACIFIC DEVILÂS FOOD
    PAX
    PINK CHARM
    PRAIRIE SUNSET
    SILVER THAW
    TIP TOP
    UNICORN
    VELANOVSKY
    ZENOBIA

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

I'm sure that between all of us, we've just about got every semp that Jack has!lol I wish the weather would smarten up so these could get planted outside all ready.

Here's mine, all 45 planted up ready to go out.

Brenda and I did a bit of searching on the net for orostachys and found some pretty cool pictures. So of course, we had to try a few ourselves. Most of the sites were classifying them as zone 5, so we shall see how they like our prairie winters.
    But here's a pic of one type a week ago after I just planted it.

And here's the same one this morning. It's already growing in the center.

And Fame Monstrose is just soooo different looking.

Apparently it needs a bit of fertilizer to maintain it's "bulkiness", so I'll have to try to remember to do that.......I guess you could almost say it's on steroids!LOL

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Just a note, Sharon...Appleblossom is one we also wanted and Jack was unable to supply it this year. I think he was possibly able to get it from a friend of his who had extra, but maybe I will order it next year...if I do an order then. I have about 150 different kinds of semps now...how many more do I need????

Great closeups, Laurie.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received my order in today and managed to get them all planted out too. Shucks, I didn't get Appleblossom as well.

However, he did give me a sub and some bonus plants. He is soooo nice and generous and I'll be placing another order with Jack for sure next year!

BLUSH
    KING GEORGE
    THUNDER
    ROSIE
    Orostachys spinosum

Happy Gardening!
    Sharon

• reneeslovenia
    15 years ago

I'm crazy about them, too. My list is long, real long ....I have 1.700 plants, mostly named varieties and I mail my list on demand.
    I swap ww. I am looking for popele to swap semps in 2009 with.

For those of you who would like to see more, you are invited to visit my sempervivum blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: my sempervivum blog

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

Thought I would resurrect this thread, because I just discovered Cavendish Perennials too! I really, REALLY wish he would put pictures in...I would have done so much more impulse buying, I'm sure. It took a lot of work to look everything up.

Here is what I ordered:

Raspberry Ice
    Silberspitz
    Silver Thaw
    Limelight
    Blush
    Plastic
    Reinhard
    Rosie
    Blue Boy
    Lilac Time
    Unicorn
    Bronze Pastel
    Dark Cloud
    Fame Monstrose
    Sanford's Hybrid

I'd love to see more pictures of everyones, and hear from anyone else who loves sempervivums!

Up until now, all I've gotten a couple of named cultivars from greenhouses, as well as a few mislabeled ones. I hate NOID's!!(not the plant, just the fact that I obsessively want to know who I have and have not got!)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville