Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polyphemus Moth

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 17:47

Had to grab my camera when I came across this big beautiful moth ... normally, I wouldn't call a moth beautiful, though there are obvious exceptions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polyphemus Moth

Another photo ...

o

Nice find, great photo!

o

Wow !

He's amazing.

o

Wow, that looks huge.

o

So cool.

o

Wow! Beautiful as is most of nature! I love the 'eyes' on his wings. :)

Ginny

o

Some moths are so beautiful, this one for certain. Nice photo!

SCG

o

Yes, this moth was big, about 4 1/2 inches from wing tip to wing tip and had a large heavy body. The coloring is even nicer than pictured, what doesn't show up very well is the mauve tone along the edges of the wings.

These moths have undeveloped mouth parts and do not eat and live for only a short period of time and this brief period is dedicated to reproduction. Sightings are few due to their low numbers and short adult phase. I wish I had taken more photos, though he was uncooperative and would flop around like a fish out of water.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:42

Beautiful!!Think I've ever only seen one .Great picture

o

I guess the above moth had been successful with reproduction, as a friend had spied this large cocoon of the polyphemus moth attached to a plum tree branch.

o

Really cool! Be cool to build an enclosure for it and watch it enclose and feed it through its cat stages.

SCG

o

I have grown caterpillars into moths before, but my attempt with a sphynx moth this summer dropped dead the first day. Not sure why. It was in the final instar and I found it on the sidewalk.

Anyway, once it's a cocoon all you need to do is put it in an enclosure and wait for the adult to emerge.

o

I will need to intervene, as otherwise this cocoon will fall to the ground only to get stepped upon or destroyed in some manner. Maybe, I'll later place it in some leaf litter in the surrounding forest and possibly put a small screened enclose over it for protection and allowowing me to observe the moth emerge next spring.

o

Very nice!...no need, I'll come an pick it up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here