Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My bamboo survived!

Posted by davidcalgary29 2b AB (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 17:53

I decided to overwinter a clump of fargesia rufa last fall by mulching it with straw and by ensuring that it remained covered with snow all winter (it's by my front walk). When I uncovered it in April, the bottom half still had green leaves, but these withered away and browned after a series of fairly hard freezes in the middle of the month. I then cut the stems to the ground as it appeared they'd all died off...and then waited. I thought the roots had survived, and today was rewarded by the sight of new leaves! Last winter was fairly mild (although temps did drop regularly to -30 to -32 in January), so it'll be interesting to see if I can get this to survive another winter.

Lessons learned:

-I uncovered the bamboo MUCH too early in the season. Had I waited another two to three weeks, I probably could have saved some of last year's growth.

-f. rusa apparently likes to be covered with snow for the entire winter.

-don't panic! No new growth until early June, which places this species last in my yard to spring up/leaf out along with my ginkgo, black locust, and Jerusalem Artichoke.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My bamboo survived!

Bamboo in Calgary! That's a new achievement!

o

I live in Peace River, AB -- not Calgary (having moved away six years ago)...so perhaps that's even more of an achievement!

o

Congratulations, that's very impressive! It will be interesting to see how tall it gets by the end of the season.

o

WOW! Congrats!

I wonder if it can be as aggressive in our cold climate here as it is in warmer climates?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here