Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Argentea

Posted by debbiecz3 z3MB (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 18:22

Anyone have any experience growing this plant, sure is a beauty. It sort of looks like a lambs ear on steroids with cobwebby filiments on the leaves.I think it is borderline hardy here, maybe a 4 generously. I thought I would try it in a sheltered position closer to the house. Has anyone wlse grown this successfully in a zone 3 garden?(Actually I'm even being generous with that!) Thanks, Debbie.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Argentea

I grew it a couple of years ago, overwintered fine with mulch. Second year it didn't make it, I think it was in a spot with too much water. Now that I have a rock garden with excellent drainage I'm trying it again from seed that I started.

Sharon

o

Thanks Sharon. I don't have a rock garden but hopefully I can find a spot that is not too wet. Do you think it would tolerate a bit of shade or require full sun? Debbie.

o

Debbie, I have mine planted in full sun, I'm not sure if they will like part sun.

Also keep in mind that the inconspicuous flowers are best removed before they set seed, this will help it to live longer.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia argentea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here