Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Preview of the Garden

Posted by andres_zone3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 18:28

Here are some pics of some flowering azaleas and rhodos that have been flowering in my garden. Nothing to spectacular because many buds do freeze off. Nevertheless, rhodos and azaleas are possible in Edmonton although they will never flower as nicely as in other zones.

First of Rosy Lights- the hardiest azalea in my opinion:
[URL=http://s865.photobucket.com/user/Andres__01/media/IMG_1008_zps5aaec196.jpg.html][IMG]http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab213/Andres__01/IMG_1008_zps5aaec196.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Preview of the Garden

First of Rosy Lights- the hardiest azalea in my opinion:
 photo IMG_1008_zps5aaec196.jpg
Mandarin Lights
 photo IMG_1005_zps492b867c.jpg
Rhodo Nova Zembla not really hardy
 photo IMG_1009_zpsd3e25e55.jpg
Mikkeli has had lots of dieback in previous winters
 photo IMG_1011_zpsf3d4e13e.jpg
 photo IMG_1012_zps76a99cad.jpg
Why is my PJM not opening???
 photo IMG_1006_zps7551b133.jpg
Peruvian Daffodil from Walmart
 photo IMG_1013_zpsb5391c57.jpg

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 20:03

They are beautiful. You must be a very good gardener. I wouldn't even try them.

o

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:58

Lovely!

o

Wow, great job! I tried some in Edmonton years ago and I don't recall them ever blooming. They survived for a few years, not really getting any bigger and not flowering, so I trashed them.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 10:26

You have been rewarded with some beautiful blooms.

o

Very nice Andres and thank you very much for showing the colorful photos :)

o

Oh my goodness, Andres, what is your secret!? How did you get these to grow so beautifully in Edmonton?

I guess you guys had much better snow cover than we do in Calgary! Still, you must have the magic touch, because not all Edmontonians can grow them!!!

o

Thank you everyone for the replies. If anyone wants to try an azalea I highly recommend Rosy Lights. It seems to avoid winter dieback and seems to flower reliably. Give azaleas full sun and lots of snowcover and protection from the wind. Will post more pics as things start looking better in the yard.

o

andres great photos....my MIL is dying for a rhodo so if they will survive there they will for sure here....

SCG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here