Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdawgger

Good Fresh fruit in Saskatchewan

jdawgger
16 years ago

Could someone suggest a good apple for fresh eating for zone 2. I am interested in a new varieties that the U of S has grown but........ can I get ahold of this for my back yard?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• granolabar (Zone 2)
    16 years ago

Norland or Parkland seem to be the most recommended. They ripen in August and are quite hardy. They don't store very well unless picked before fully ripe.

• jdawgger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great thank you so much. Are there any other fruit trees that might work besides cherries and apples?

• shazam_z3
    16 years ago

You might try looking at gooseberries, Saskatoon berries (also called serviceberries), currants, kiwi vines, pear trees and honeyberries.

There's a good link here about some of the latest very hardy cultivars

Here is a link that might be useful: DNA Gardens

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I used to have a Pembina Plum tree - the fruit was delicious. It helps to have a wild plum in the vicinity for a pollinator - there are a lot of wild plums around here, you see them in bush and by the side of the road when they're flowering in the spring. This article from U of Sask is one of the best I have read about hardy plums and their pollination.

How much room to you have to plant fruit trees? Keep in mind many fruits need a separate pollinator for a good crop.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of Sask plum article

• glen3a
    16 years ago

I have Norland and it is a very dependable and produces loads of apples annually. The one thing I don't care for is that you really have to be on top of the apples at ripening time. If you pick them when they are just getting a hint of red blush to them they are at their best, in my opinion. But, that's just me, I like my apples juicy and slightly tart but sweet. If you wait too long they aren't totally mushy, but more soft texture and more dry. I just find that they go from under ripe to over ripe very quickly so you really have to be on top of the situation.

I also have September Ruby and love it. I think it's hardy to zone 2. Here they actually ripen about the third week of August. A few weeks after the Norlands. They sort of remind me of a Macintosh type apple (crisp, juicy). The only problem may be that the apple produces heavier in alternate years. I think it's name isn't all that accurate though, if you wait for the entire apple to turn red it is usually over ripe. Apparently you can store them for a few months in the fridge (if you pick them before ripe or just as they are ripening).

The above is just what I find with these two apples. There are lots of good new varieties available, so hopefully you can find something you'll like.

Glen

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

A great eating apple is Norkent. We have had some very good sized fruit and it has good flavour.

Clayton

• christinna
    16 years ago

what are honeyberries?

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Honeyberries are an edible honeysuckle variety. We had a discussion about it a couple of years ago... see link below. I think more people on the forum have planted them since then.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeyberries Thread

• jdawgger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am worried about pollination. Will the new variety cherrys self pollinate and can I cross pollinate with a Pembina Plum tree?

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

Check out the links from my blog.

Clayton

Here is a link that might be useful: My Haskap Blog