Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Snakes in the backyard ...

FrozeBudd_z3/4
9 years ago

Never had so many big garter snakes call my backyard home, I think there's six or seven of various sizes that inhabit the sun baked area along the bush.

These are large older mature snakes.

Comments (18)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is very brightly colored in comparison.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And all together now for a visit ....

• don555
    9 years ago

That should keep the mice and voles at bay!

• wayne
    9 years ago

The faded ones are going to lose there outer skin soon and the biggest are all females.

This post was edited by wayne61 on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 20:11

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

There are quite a few around here this year. I don't mind them (except when one eats my favourite toad). Dh hates them, though.

Yesterday, there was one at a playground where i was with the kids. We saw a large one and someone told my 3 1/2 year old grandson to pick it it up. He looked at it for awhile and then said, "I not pick that up." LOL

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, I should tell them to go under the deck where the mice like to hang out!

Wayne ... okay, that explains the dull coloring and cloudy eyes of the two picutured.

Marcia, yes, their favorite food must be frogs, sometimes I'll hear a frog calling out in distress as its being consumed by a snake :(

• beegood_gw
    9 years ago

Gee Thats kind of neat .Haven't seen one around here in years let alone a whole whopping bunch of them .

• northspruce
    9 years ago

Awesome! I love snakes and own four corn snakes. Wayne's right about them being about to shed. To snake people it's called being blue, or in blue. The bright one probably just shed recently.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I'm not a snake person...still traumatized from the time I found one coiled up in my rhubarb patch. I didn't go near that area for months.

• ostrich
    9 years ago

OMG, if I saw them in my yard I would totally freak out....! Sorry, I am just not a snake person at all!!!!!!!!!

• weeper_11
    9 years ago

We always have lots of garters in our flower bed that wraps around the house. I've never found one in the basement, thank goodness. We have soooo many mice and voles, I'm always happy to see a snake slither by!

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Never seen them around here but I sure would like some! Can you send me a few?

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Great find again!..You seem to get all these exotic creatures
    this year! I know,.. some years back to got some at the house.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slimy_Okra ... sure, I have sooo many that I could send you some ... I can air mail them, snakes on a plane, lol.

Konrad, I guess they must like the nearby reserve area where the salamanders also live.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This guy got a bit tooo close and the poor thing was stalked for lunch. The entrapped frog was letting out a high pierced cry that was actually very mournfully sad to hear, I felt like intervening as he sorrowfully pleaded for his life. I didn't think the snake could down such a big frog, though he then turned the frog on his side and the poor froggie started going in surprisingly fast :(

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Great showing!...looks like you live in the chungle!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Great capture. Makes the garden snake look like a monster!

SCG

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

Oh, most snakes are harmless.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm