Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Rugelda rose question

ostrich
10 years ago

I am wondering if anyone can give me some information on the Rugelda rose please? I have got rather conflicting information on its size, disease resistance etc. online. Then I did a search and found a thread with photos of Rugelda in the Gallery so I just bumped it up there.

I would very much appreciate your real life experience and information on this rose - thanks!

Comments (16)

• xaroline
    10 years ago

Rugelda has been a big disappointment here.
    Only survived one or two winters and then died.
    Caroline

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Caroline - thank you! This is extremely helpful. I am going to exchange my Rugelda for a Morden Sunrise then. Thanks!

• northspruce
    10 years ago

I just got Rugelda this year as it was recommended to me by an experienced gardening friend (I think Shelley).

I have heard nothing good about Morden Sunrise. It completely lacks vigour!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

The first Morden Sunrise i had did very well for about 3 years and then i had to move her. She wasn't impressed and croaked a couple of years later. I have another one now and am hoping this one will be able to stay where she is and that she'll live. She's so darn pretty!!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

northspruce, the weird thing is, I have been reading such conflicting opinions and "facts" about Rugelda that it's hard to know what the truth is.... I am curious to see how yours will do!

I just exchanged mine for a Morden Sunshine.... but then the poor thing just went into transplant shock when I planted it a couple of days ago! Ouch, I was a bit careless and damaged the roots a bit too much.... sigh!

marcia, do you have photos of your Morden Sunrise?

Now, I am tempted to swap my Morden Sunrise with Morden blush, as it would fit the area a bit better (in terms of the colour scheme and size!).

10 years ago

This is from the rose gallery thread that's in our gallery area. Not sure if this will work or not.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• weeper_11
    10 years ago

I love the color of Morden Sunrise, but I've never liked the bloom form. Plus, I always seem to be hearing about it's lack of vigor, lack of disease resistance, etc. Probably good for breeding though, to get that pretty color on better plants!

I love my Morden Blush, Ostrich. I do find that the 2x2 size is exactly how big mine gets. It always suffers some dieback, even with snow cover, but bounces back quickly in the spring and is always loaded with blooms. The only thing I don't love about it is the way the old, dying blooms look...they kind of remind me of dirty kleenex or something.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL weeper - your "dirty kleenex" description just cracked me up!

I was at a CT location in the deep south part of Calgary and found some very large pots of Morden Sunrise and Morden Blush roses! They were GORGEOUS. I did not like the form of Morden Sunrise, but the colours were lovely. Now, I must say that some of the leaves had black spots already....

On the other hand, the Morden Blush was just absolutely beautiful. Very nice form when just opening. It's got such a classic shape and form. The colour was lovely too. But I can imagine how it may look when the blooms get older.... LOL

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

This is a Bill Reid. Carried for the first time by Greenland. Has a beautiful gold color and is supposed to be very hardy. Also blooms sporadically thru out the summer. Not shrubby. So I'm giving a try.

10 years ago

I ordered Bill Reid from McFaydens last year and received a stick. :( At least they credited me for it.

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

I'm lucky I guess as Greenland Nursery is just down the road from me so I got potted and blooming. Has been blooming ever since.

• shazam_z3
    10 years ago

Yup, try Bill Reid or Campfire, they're both supposed to be improved versions of Morden Sunrise.

• northspruce
    10 years ago

I just had to come back and comment that I planted Rugelda bare root this spring and so far it's a total stud! It grew and grew with healthy leaves and no pests, and has started flowering already. My only complaint is that the the blooms are photo-reactive and I'm not that fond of the magenta-red that the edges of the petals burn to. I prefer the yellow and peach tones.

• prairie_northrose (3b north of Calgary AB, Canada)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I dug up this thread as I have been very impressed by Rugelda so far. I planted it in September last year. It had died back completely to the ground from the winter. This year it has grown almost four feet high and has lovely double blooms that go start from yellow and fade to creamy yellow with hints of pink. Faint fruity scent. Buds are tinged bright red. I did feed it alfalfa tea, which seems to encourage growth. It did not like chemical fertilizers as I watered a diluted 20-20-20 in and the veins showed yellowing immediately the day after. I flushed the soil, and it's doing better. Otherwise, foliage is very shiny and healthy for me so far. Branches are upright, but I chose to stake it to shape the growth in the direction I want. Overall bush shot:

This is it's first flower, the same flower over a few days:

I have Bill Reid and Morden Sunrise beside it, planted this year. Bill Reid has been going good, although I wish I had the subtle peachy pink ruffled edges that I've seen on some. Morden Sunrise is doing good very well - vigorous for me, plenty of blooms with peachy tones, and no black spot.

• HU-215917175
    3 years ago

My rugelda has been attacked by tiny caterpillars this year. Do you know what is safe to use on them?