Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Now More Confused about Irises - Are they historical?

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

Thanks for the advice on dividing, but now I'm more confused after doing a search on how to divide them....can I really dig them up and then slice them apart with a sharp shovel? Sounds brutal if I'm not supposed to damage them.

I also had a look at the Iris forum but everyone there seems to be from a hot climate. So, could you help me again?

There's a possibility these Irises are historical.(?) I have no way of knowing when they were planted. It could have been as far back as 1969. Is that considered historical? Of course now that they've finished blooming I've lost my opportunity to show you what they look like. They were purple on the bottom and the tops were white. They weren't really frilly. I really should learn my terminology. Should I divide some of them now, but leave some old clumps until after next year's blooming, so I don't possibly ruin historical flowers?

(Sorry this is so long.)

Comments (3)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

Historical just means they were bred more than (roughly) 30 years ago. Many types of historicals are very common, reliable and reproduce quickly. One of my very favourite gardening websites is HIPS (Historical Iris Preservation Society); it has tons of articles you can read and also a gallery you might find your iris in. Hit return to previous at the top to see the rest of the site. At a guess your iris could be Rhein Nixe or something similar. RN is on a quest to conquer the world.

I have never sliced my rhisomes with a shovel and I see no reason to. Maybe someone else has heard of this.

Here is a link that might be useful: HIPS

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow ! What a great website. I had no idea so many irises existed.

I'm pretty sure you're right. They probably are Rhein Nixe. Since they're taking over the world, at least I don't have to be afraid to divide them.

Thanks so much =:)

• northspruce
    14 years ago

No problem. Wabash is another common historical that might fit your description.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath