Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Save my young Brandon Elm....?

Posted by duramaximos (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 18:52

...or cut my losses and go with something else?

In the spring of 2007 I planted two 2' caliper Brandon Elms in my urban Calgary backyard. In hindsight Im learning it was not such a smart choice of trees. My wife and I were excited about the idea of having two stately trees in our backyard and did too little research regarding their heartiness or appropriateness in our application. Our yard is rather small and the trees are forced near the perimeters.I digress.

One of the elms is actually fairing very well. It seems to have established good roots and the bark, leaves, and structure all appear very healthy to my untrained eye.
The second tree by comparison has shredding and peeling bark, and sparse leaves that droop all the time. This last point is my primary concern and observation. Each year since this tree was planted it will leaf out normally and after a couple short weeks the leaves will slowly but inevitably droop down and point to the ground. They remain this way for the rest of the season. The healthy tree has vigorous leaves, all pointing slightly upwards and evenly spread. The healthy tree also exhibits densely packed smaller leaf/branches that cover the main branches. These smaller branchlets (?) on the unhealthy tree have mostly dried/died back leaving the main branches relatively bare looking.
In the short time weve had the trees the healthier tree has also gained noticeably more girth than the other.

So my question is: Can this tree be nurtured to good health so it will at least match the quality of the other?
Then, is it really worth while? This particular tree is even closer to the side boundary than the healthy tree. Perhaps this would be a good time to remove the tree and add something more appropriate in its place. Im eager to make a change because Im not the type to invest my time into something that is sub-standard. My wife, on the other hand, doesnt want me to touch it. She feels it will come around on its own...but when, and will it ever look as good as the elm standing right next to it?

On a somewhat related note, both trees exhibit a problem of leaves curling up. By the end of the season about 10-15% of the leaves will have curled edges. The leaves with the curled edges also have small holes in them. Perhaps some insects are causing the leaves to curl? I don't believe these bugs are causing the poor health of the one elm because both trees are affected equally.

I've linked a picture of the two trees in my yard. The tree on the left is the 'unhealthy' one.

Your suggestions and advice is much appreciated.
Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brandon Elms

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Save my young Brandon Elm....?

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_ded/ht_ded.htm

Look at this link. It tells you about dutch elm disease and other problems with elms

o

Thanks for the link. I'm fairly certain my tree does not have DED. I did call the City of Calgary because I heard they have a dedicated person or team that monitors for DED in the city. Sure enough they put me in touch with the appropriate people and within 2 days someone was here to inspect the tree. I wasn't home when the person arrived but his verbal report to my wife was "all clear".

I was disappointed not to be able to pick his brain regarding the trees apparent poor health.

As for the other diseases mentioned in the article, neither of them appear to match my tree's symptoms.

Things have become progressively worse of the past week. All the leaves are very large now and it almost appears that the leaf stems are too weak to hold up the weight of the leaves. All the leaves now are pointing straight to the ground. It's a sad looking tree...

The folks at Green Gate Garden Center believe there could be a problem with watering or poor drainage...however both trees are being treated the same and only one is showing problems. I find this hard to accept since the problem as been apparent for 3 years now, and each season has brought slightly different moisture to the ground. This spring, for example, has been very cool and late with decent rain and some watering.

Confused...?!?!

o

Doesn't look too bad to me. Young trees often do weird things.

Whatever you do, absolutely, positively, do not prune elms if they are not dormant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here