Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planted -- waiting for frost

Posted by ljpother 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 4, 09 at 19:25

The bad news is I haven't been called into work yet this week. Maybe tomorrow, sigh.

The good news is I've been digging and planting since late last week and I'm pretty well done. Potatoes, tomatoes, beans, and odds and ends. I just have a few flowers, ws tomatoes that are still sprouting, and some purple prince suckers I'm rooting.

And the bad news is possible frost on the weekend. Around here if I wait for the last possible frost date, summer is over. If I recall, July is the only month it hasn't snowed in Alberta.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planted -- waiting for frost

Apparently it has snowed in July as well! Must have been before my time or I don't remember.

Ginny

o

It has definitely snowed in July in Alberta. The most recent was in the late 90s. I was at the Calgary Stampede and it was snowing. There was, however, no frost that time.

o

I can remember snow in every month except August and frost in every month except July. I hold a grudge about these things...

We have a crappy frost warning tonight too. Not even sure what to cover, I guess I'd better cover my roses.

o

Snowing right now. Covered stuff up, brought other stuff in. Broke a tomato plant :(

o

Friends in Calgary are coming up for the dog show tomorrow and they are asking if it is going to be warm here. I didn't have the heart to tell them. Two years ago, the same dog show, it was 34c. They had little kiddy pools all over to keep the dogs cool! This year they will need space heaters! Last year it poured for 4 days. We could use a bit of that this year. I'm glad for the fact that I was too busy to get the rest of my tomatoes and cucumbers in this week. Strange weather for sure.

Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here