Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salt Damage?

Posted by CLBlakey none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 19:29

I have trying to be patient waiting for certain plants to rear their heads but am sad to report I have lost 3 bleeding hearts on clump of day lilies and a peony this year my only thought or question is could it have been salt damage from the walk way. This winter was melt and freeze so had to salt more than normal. Has anyone else experience this with flowerbeds by walk ways?

Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt Damage?

Oh yes. Not only with the lawn but also my irises along the south side of the house beside the sidewalk. :(

Ginny

o

You can get salt that doesn't damage plants. I think it's potassium something. We use it at work and it doesn't harm the grass or the verbascum that we put it straight on top of.

o

Yes, a calcium-based or potassium-based or ammonium-based salt will do far less damage than the standard, cheaper, sodium-based salt. I keep both on hand -- I use the cheaper sodium salt (sodium chloride) on the city sidewalk at the end of my driveway (which backs onto the street, not flower beds), and the more expensive mostly calcium-chloride salt for my driveway, stairs and paths, where it will end up getting shovelled onto the gardens or the lawn.

o

I suppose cheaper (44 cents a bag)isn't always cheaper in the long run :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here