Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Gonna try and find some orchids

Pudge 2b
13 years ago

DH & I are heading to Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park for a few days of camping and hiking. I've been wanting to get there in June, as apparently there are 14 species of orchids that make their home in that area, and this is the time for them to be blooming.

Here's hoping...

Comments (9)

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

I'll be looking forward to hearing about what you find. I have a couple of wildflower friends who take me along on their orchid hunts in our area. It's really interesting.

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

Oooooh I love orchids! And Cypress Hills. Have fun, hope you see some. Hopefully this cool rainy weather hasn't set bloom season back!

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Take pix and post. I have always wanted to go to Cyprus Hills a' I have lots of yellow lady slippers growing along the track at my place. They are in full bloom now.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Did you find any, or did you get rained out ?

We're looking forward to pictures if you have them.

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We're back, a day earlier than planned because of the rain, but at least we got out! Today Cypress Hills provincial park is closed, and highways are flooded and closed. I understand another 4" of rain fell in that area last night.

We had ONE nice day, and the rest of the time it rained :( I found very little blooming, much less any of the orchids. I suspect the area is way behind in bloom time. We managed 2 hikes, both beautiful, green and lush. But no orchids :(

It is so beautiful there, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat. The Lodgepole pine forest is incredible, I could wander through it for days and not get tired of it.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

I'm going to the Alberta part mid-July, wish me luck :)

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

That's too bad about all the rain and the orchids, Pudge. On the plus side, I bet all the rain made the forest smell AMAZING. I used to go camping all the time in Cypress Hills, and that is one thing I can't forget: the smell. And I totally agree about how mesmorising the lodgepole forest is. You don't have to go very far in, and suddenly all you can see behind you is trees! It is so peaceful and meditative.

• beegood_gw
    13 years ago

Too bad you got there during the monsoon but it sounds like you did enjoy the visit. Hope to visit there some day

• Laurie_z3_MB
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear you got rained out Pudge.:( We camped there about 3 years ago and it was so beautiful! We especially got a kick out of the local moose that lived in the campground. I've never been within 15 feet of a wild moose before...good thing she was friendly!