Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone use liquid fish emulsion?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 20, 09 at 19:44

I read somewhere (maybe even here ? ) that liquid fish emulsion is a good fertilizer.

I found a bottle of concentrated fish emulsion today but didn't buy it because all the instructions were in French !

Yes, I could have asked the sales people but I wasn't confident they would even know what it was, hee, hee.

So, does anyone know how I would mix it? Also, if I have compost, do I even need it?

Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone use liquid fish emulsion?

I buy Wegener's Liquid on occasion. It works well enough.

Liquid fertilizers are useful to kick start growth. Truly cold compost takes about two weeks to really get going at the start of the season, I find.

They're also useful for containers.

o

I tried concentrated fish emulsion before & PHEWWEEE It stunk up my GH for days.
Even outside it was stinky, plus if you don't use up the mixed solution it goes bad

I got some concentrated seaweed extract bonus when I ordered from T&T this year. Now that is good stuff, 15 grams & boy does it go a long way. Don't stink, don't burn plants & 2 days later they took right off.Here's a link to it, they sent me the dry concentrate

You can get it from Lindeberg too, with free shipping if you order $40.00 or more

Here is a link that might be useful: concentrated seaweed extract

o

Wegener's doesn't stink at all. Most of the newer ones don't.

I forgot to add that I also use Alaska Morbloom 0-10-10 in August to harden off my plants. Not stinky either.

o

Well the Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1, I got stunk to high heaven

o

I have used Alaska fish fertilizer for years on my indoor plants and on the garden. A little stinky but works great.

Ginny

o

Kelp rocks. Too bad it's ludicrously expensive for the amount you get.

sprayman, I'll make sure to never buy the 5-1-1 :)

o

It makes sense, because a formulation with high P is probably more bone-based and less stinky, while something high in N is probably composed of fish soft tissue that decomposes to give off smelly amines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here