Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Magellan Zinnia - I'm Waiting 5 Weeks

nutsaboutflowers
12 years ago

I planted Magellan Sunburst Zinnia Mix last week, and they're starting to come up =:)

The package says that blooms appear 6 weeks after planting, so I'm waiting 5 more weeks, LOL !

I've never grown zinnias before, but I gather they're beautiful and since a lot of the other stuff I've planted may not even survive and/or mature enough by the end of the season, I have high hopes for these babies.

I've still got stuff waiting to plant. Marigolds, petunias, impatiens, etc.

Is everyone else finished, or has the weather really made a mess of your schedule?

Comments (18)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Weather and busy has totally messed me up this late spring. But considering that last year was a write off for me, I'm not doing too bad. Didn't do much of anything new; a few hostas to plant yet and some dianthus. Might be potting up my irises when they come in the summer. So much is up in the air for me anyway......~sigh~ I think many of us gardenng addicts will always be behind, simply cause there is never enough flowers!!! LOL

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I got my planting done this past week. All I have left is my new gooseberry bush because I can't decide where to put it. I think I need to dig out a big clump of centaurea and put it there. The centaurea looks like it will resist fiercely.

Zinnias are nice, they are neat & tidy looking with bold colours.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Northspruce (Gillian ? )

You got your gooseberry. Awesome !

Lynn

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Yeah I posted on the gooseberry thread, I forgot its name already. It's something Finnish.

I showed my mom last night where I was going to take out the centaurea and plant the gooseberry and she said "what you don't like it?" It did look nice all blue and fluffy. Sigh.

(Yes Gillian LOL)

• mytime
    12 years ago

Finished? Not hardly...I'm never finished:-)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, it's been 4-1/2 weeks and the darn things aren't doing much. Some are barely 3 inches and a few are about 4 inches tall. I'm crushed. I hardly think that within a few days they'll be blooming =:( Not even close!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Zinnias really are best started early indoors, I had sown my Magellans in early April and they started flowering about six weeks ago, though only now beginning to fill out nicely . The Cherry color is awesome ... and I also really like the orange :)

Terrance

• savona
    12 years ago

There are some flowers that need to be started early. Some of the self seeding flowers are just starting to bloom now in my garden. I would hate for my garden to finally get some colour in it only after the middle of July.My learning curve has had a few disappointments along the way..lol. Jean

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I sure learned my lesson with annual asters. Mine were started in March and they're in full beautiful bloom already. Last year they bloomed so late I was lucky to collect 3 seeds out of them.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Zinnias really appreciate warm summer temperatures and will then become covered in a bounty of bloom ... they sulk when summers are cool and wet, needless to say, they're not doing the greatest (so far) this summer in the Edmonton region ... so bring on that heat that most of the rest of Canada is enjoying!

Terrance

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm a very happy camper today. I have one bloom and there's about 10 just about ready to open =:)

The package says blooms in 6 weeks after planting and it's been approximately 7 weeks, maybe 7-1/2, as I'm uncertain the exact date I planted them. I know I wrote it down somewhere......

Considering the crappy weather we've had for most of that time, these things are doing great!

12 years ago

Patience is a lovely virtue isn't it? :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, my Zinnias are blooming nicely, and have filled up their space entirely.

Great healthy plants that look almost exactly like they do on the package =:)

12 years ago

NAF ~ Love to see a pic! :)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd love to oblige, but the two computers I use don't have a way to do pictures. I know I should get a computer for that, but that money always seems to be spent on places that sell plants, not the computer store, LOL!

12 years ago

I know exactly what you mean!! Certified Plant Addict with many sub addictions.Lol My kids bought me my camera and my computer. Or maybe they were just paying me back???

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think at one point my DH had 23 computers, 6 monitors, and miles of cable and crap to hook them all together. Networking within our own house, I think. He also has a Galaxy Tab for e-books and says I need one, too.

I guess I'm showing my age or something, because I still prefer pen and paper, a landline telephone ( I do have an old cellphone that I use though) and a good old fashioned book made out of paper. I'd rather talk on the phone or face to face than send a text message and if I ever work in an office again, it'll drive me crazy if I'm expected to send a email to someone who's five feet away !

So, about the pictures. I take terrible pictures of my garden, so until I learn to use my 3 years old camera better, I won't be rushing out to buy a computer that I can put pictures on here with, LOL! I'll just sit back and enjoy everybody elses. Thanks fellow gardeners =:)

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eek!

When I think about what I wrote, it might appear that I'm older and unable to figure out all this "new fangled stuff".

Nope. I'm capable but I'm just not very interested. I'd rather spend my time in the garden, have coffee with friends, or many other things than keep up with this ever changing, fast paced, stressful, out of control, world, LOL!

Now I really sound old ! =:)