Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unwirklich

Alaska Fruit Growers- Building a list.

unwirklich
12 years ago

Hi guys :)

I'm building a list of fruit trees that can be grown in Alaska. I realize that most people say oh, zone 2-3 with shorter growing season is fine, but experience often says different. I'd like to compile a list of fruit trees that can be grown by the novice gardener with a high survival rate in Alaska. By novice I mean basically you plant it right, water it and keep the moose off and it lives.

This my rough list thus far:

Pear:

Ure, ussarian, Julienne, Patten, Spartlet

Apple:

Norkent, parkland, westland, silken, collet, carrol, prairie magic, simonet, golden uralian

Apricot:

Manchurian

Plums:

Brookgold, brookred, Princess Kay, Assinboine, Manchurian, Dandy and Salicina No. 2

Cherry:

Evans

Any other trees, even of a fruit you don't see on the list, would be appreciated, or perhaps a no-that-won't-grow already on the list advisory. As warning, I do plan to publish this list but will give credit where do.

Comments (8)

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Perhaps check with these fruit growers in Alaska, [link]
    I personally met Bob & Clair, one apple is a must have, a Trailman Crab, very sweet and juicy, one of the best for juicing,.. it's also Claire's best.
    The tree is super hardy, annual producer ...but, it's the first apple to leaf out in spring and can kill the tree in a frost pocket... happened to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit

• mytime
    12 years ago

"By novice I mean basically you plant it right, water it and keep the moose off and it lives."

I assume you also intend for it to produce fruit in a normal year?

My favorite is "State Fair", which seems to produce well every other year. I got a second one last summer...hopefully they'll be productive in opposite years so that we can always have a heavy crop. This summer we'll be lucky to have 10 apples from it.

I see you left Norland off the apple list...is there a reason? It is the primo novice gardener fruit tree, IMHO. I know of one grown totally untended in a very inhospitable site that still produces after 30+ years.

Have you contacted the Alaska Pioneer Fruit Growers' Assoc.? Trust me, if it's even remotely growable here, and available somewhere, someone there has tried it.

Where/how do you plan to publish the list?
    And where are you in Alaska?

Over 20 years ago, DH and I spent a weekend helping my dad plant over 100 fruit trees near Wasilla. If he could find a 1/2 way hardy tree, he tried to grow it and get fruit.

• unwirklich
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm from Soldotna, AK (South Central) but we just bought a house with 5 acres to play with in Sterling. :D Moving here soon. So the list is for my own reference, BUT I also work as a freelance writer for Yahoo. I intend to publish it there for others as I've had a rough time finding resources on the subject.

I did find the Alaska pioneer fruit grower's website, they have a very nice apple chart that I need to go through and update my apple list with. Nothing for other fruits though.

• mytime
    12 years ago

I suggest you join the association...it's only $8 for July-December, or $16 for the year. As of last year, there were members from Homer, Kenai, Soldotna, and even one in Sterling. The info is out there...they were doing a fruit census last year...

Where in Sterling (I lived there when I was a kid)?

• freezengirl
    12 years ago

I am down in Homer. We have a very active garden club, a lot of people interested in sustainable agriculture, permaculture and that type of thing in this area. I don't (yet) have any fruit trees planted since we are still working on our land getting ready to build a cabin. Possibly this link may be useful for you to locate fruit growers around here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sustainable Homer

• unwirklich
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mytime, It's off Robinson loop. We found an apple grower here out in Nikiski which has been helpful. My list is almost done after hours and hours of forum/publication reading. :D It should be up to link soon. I ended up expanding and I'm going to do one of berries too.

• ziggro
    12 years ago

I see that you have Julienne Pear listed...is there anywhere in the U.S. that I could order this variety from? On the web, the only place I can find that sells it is a nursery in Canada. Is it fireblight resistant? An early season pear?

• unwirklich
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I ended up having to make it into three articles to meet my publishers preferred lengths. The first, on apples is up :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Apples Trees to Grow in Alaska

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH